Chapter 32 (38th of Vashi in the Year 6199)

From the ashes of the fallen shall rise a new unity

From the ashes of the fallen shall rise a new unity. Reborn will be the elven people from the chosen clans. Only when the two houses stand alone can the Tear of Earoni return to the world.

Prophesies 76:1

"What's wrong with you?"  The sudden question from Reane didn't even cause Sheala to flinch

"What's wrong with you?" The sudden question from Reane didn't even cause Sheala to flinch. She continued staring over the Oracle's port side.

A stiff wind aided their journey home. Captain Corsair's remaining two ships followed behind with repairs jury-rigged from what materials had been on hand.

Wearing one of the dresses commissioned for her new role as ambassador, Sheala barely heard the words. "Nothing. What makes you think something's wrong?" Earlier in the day, Sheala admitted to her friend how much she enjoyed this gown in particular.

Reane shrugged. "Because, I know. You want to pretend as though you don't know who you're talking to here?" She didn't need to go prodding through her friend's thoughts. Just the emotional impressions the former thief was exuding were strong enough to inform her of what concerns were currently being pondered. "I thought perhaps you'd like to talk about it. All you've done in the days since we picked up Captain Corsair and his ships is mope around in your cabin."

"I've just got a bad feeling." She touched the medallion about her neck. "I can't explain it." The Imperial fleet was nowhere to be found, and that only heightened her unease. The fact that they hadn't even passed another ship in days was troubling. "Maybe Captain Corsair's assessment of the fleet's destination was wrong?"

"Worrying will do nothing except wear away at your sanity."

"I know you know something about what we're sailing into. I can tell in your voice."

It was getting harder and harder for Reane to continue hiding what it was she realized. And her friend was far too perceptive. "Sheala, we've known each other ever since that day when you tried to pick my pocket in Catersburg. I know I've never said it, but you're like a sister to me."

"I have a sister, Reane." Sheala's voice contained a purposeful edge. "And I also think you know more about her too than you're letting on."

The gears of Reane's mind turned around and around aspossible responses formed. If she played dumb, Sheala would see through that. Her friend was too smart to be fooled so easily. But how to tell her not to worry? That concern was foremost in Reane's mind. "I know your sister is alive. And I also know that, like you, she has her own path to walk. And when the time is right, fate will rejoin the two of you."