Chapter 3

Kara's POV: 

We sat there in the small waiting area in the front of the building. I waited next to Lena as the woman at the desk drew up some paperwork for me to look at. I could see in the next room over there was a crying little girl and another older girl comforting her. I wondered what was going on? It didn't seem like sad tears, I didn't obtrude on their conversation though. Too personal, plus I made a promise to Alex to not super-snoop anymore. Last time that did not turn out in my favor. Still can't shake the sound of Alex and Maggie. Ugh, ew, still gross to think about! Focus Kara! Remember why you are here. 

"Kara Danvers," spoke the lady at the desk who stood up and scanned the array of chairs in the waiting area until reaching the one where I stood and began to walk over. Behind me followed Lena. Once we reached the desk the woman smiled at us in greetings. "Ah, I see you have your..." She glanced at me and then at Lena and back to me. She sought an answer that caused me to blush. 

"Oh, uh, she is my friend, best friend, moral support. Lena," I told the woman and then smiled at Lena flustered by the question. 

"Ah, alright. Well, would you, Miss Danvers, and your friend care to join me in the back room for a moment while I get a social service worker to assist you today. Just to make the process as easy as possible. If you have any questions about how our services work with the children you can ask them." I nodded and we followed her into an office type area with a table: chairs on either side. Some filing cabinets and bookshelves lined the walls. Just a simple room. 

When the kind lady left the room, Lena and I took our seats in the chairs on one side of the table. It was quite silent in the room, not an awkward silence but just one of stillness and a touch of unknowingness. I began to get drawn back into my own thoughts once more among the silence. Again bringing my mind back to the thought of how difficult this is going to be. And is this kid gonna think that Lena is their other mom? I mean we did come together, but that would be totally ridiculous, like totally ridiculous, right? Yeah, yeah, um, yeah, it would be very ridiculous. Stop it, Kara, she is sitting right next to you! 

I felt my face grow red when I glanced up from my hands that currently held my current attention, to Lena who was staring at my hands too. THAT'S WEIRD... ahhh why was she staring at my hands too. We made brief eye contact and then abruptly looked in the opposite direction. Damn. Crap. Crap. Crap. 

Puffing my cheeks out and letting out a breath, I said, "Where is that social worker?" Awkward laughter followed from both of us after that. 

Lena just shrugged, "Who knows?" She looked down at the black calling watch that she wore on her wrist. "It has only been 3 minutes, wow. Time sure goes by fast."  

I just nodded and then looked back at my hands. This time, Lena was looking at her own instead of mine. 

I needed to center myself, calm my nerves a little. Since I can't up and fly at the moment I will just listen. Listen to the birds outside, the kids playing the next room over, the joyous cries of a couple adopting a kid. I smile was growing on my face, I remember why I am here now. Not the awkward interaction with Lena, but the kid that I will hopefully bring home. But then there is Lena. Her breath was calm but her heart was racing. 

I stopped listening and looked over at her. A tear was rolling down her cheek. I put a hand on her shoulder to get her attention. "Hey, Lee, what's wrong?" She pulled away slightly and dabbed her eyes, trying not to ruin her perfect mascara. 

"Nothing, darling. Why do you ask?" she smiled and masked whatever the tears that were falling were. 

I gave her the look that explained exactly what I was about to say without saying it. "You know that you can tell me anything right?"