Chapter 9

*Rachel's POV*

    Richard drove us back to our dormitory, Jake and Ash got out of the car while Richard and I headed for the art department.

    We got our schedules and were about to drive out when I noticed a poster for job vacancy.

   "I'll be back Richard, give me a minute." I said, rushing out of the car.

   I got closer to the poster and read the letters on it :Vacant Secretariat post, $10,000 per month.

   "Oh my world!! $10, 000 per month. This is way more than Grandma's pay for two years." I thought to myself. I quickly wrote down the address and mobile number before running back into the car.

    "I found a job!!!" I shouted showing Richard the piece of paper I had written down the details.

   "What sort of job is it?" he asked peering into the piece of paper.

   "I don't know but there is a vacant Secretariat post."  I replied holding out the book for him to see.

     "But do you really have to take this job?" he asked starring at me.

   Ten thousand dollars might seem small to him but it meant a whole lot to me.

   "Sure, why not?" I asked looking at the piece of paper to be sure there was nothing wrong with it.

   "Nothing much, I just don't see the essence of this job when you have friends who can offer you financial assistance." he replied bluntly. My friends were always coddling me and it made me feel like a weakling sometimes, since I detested being dependent.

   "I really appreciate your concern but you know how much I hate being dependent besides, you guys have done too much for me." I carped in an attempt to make him reason with me.

   "That's what friends are for, So you shouldn't regard it as a big deal okay? If you insist on taking up the job, fine I'm not going to stop you but be careful and don't let it weigh on your health and academic life." he said with a quick pat on my shoulder.

   "Thank you very much. I don't know what I could have done without you guys, thank you." I whimpered intermittently,  wiping at the sticky, salty liquids that blurred my vision.

    My friends were my world even though they treated me like I was fragile, they were still the best friends ever. Being unable to return their favour was something that broke my heart. I couldn't hold back my tears any longer even though I tried to sniffle them back.

   "Fuck!! You are crying again." Richard cursed, pulling over to wrap me up in a warm embrace.

   "I'm sorry if I said something that hurt your feeling." He said apologetically, rubbing my back to pacify me as I wailed  like a child.

   "No Richard, you didn't say anything wrong. I'm just sad that I can't do anything to repay everything you guys have done for me." I blabbered between sniffles.

      "Who cares anyway? As long as you are happy, that's more than enough for us." he said while wiping at my remnant  tears with his left thumb.

     "But if you insist, there's one thing you can do for me." he said smiling at me.

   "What is it?" I asked, forcing a toothy grin at him.

    "I need you to help me plan out a date with Ashley, I want to officially ask her to be my girlfriend." he replied shyly.

    "When do you want it?" I asked excitedly.

   "Tomorrow." he replied.

   "Consider it done." I said happily.