Chapter VIII

Cove's boots lugged in the new found snow, they'd been walking for a little over two days. She carried Eliza's bag, they barely had food, and yet had no idea where the hell they were. But as she dragged ahead, the people behind her argued their heads off, Devin screaming at Rowan, Rowan instigating, and Eliza barely trying to calm them down. Cove didn't pay attention to them, everytime she slept she had nightmares, so never found time to sleep at the camps they stayed. She'd lost connection with everyone, closing her off into this pit of disbelief.

Since they'd been walking she'd been doing stupid stuff for the rest of them, and that got her into a bad place at one of the bases. One of the radiation areas had extremely bad air, but there were only four masks. She could still remember, walking through the area her jacket covering her mouth watching as the others breathed softly through Radiation masks. But what Devin did made the memory harder to recall. He held onto her hand and kept offering to give her the mask as the other two continued their way.

"Cove please."

"Devin I'm f-" She coughed harshly, but his grip harshened on her hand.

"Cove I'm not going to lose you,"

"I was going to say the same thing," Cove's voice was shallow, but she decided it was best not to talk for the rest of the trip.

When she talked the air was harsher, it felt like fire escaping into her lungs, burning the tissue on the way down. She couldn't describe the pain to anyone, but Devin knew exactly what she was feeling. But neither of them talked for the rest of the night. They felt it was unecessary and Cove needed to heal. But she didn't sleep, it was her main enemy.

But thats when the insomnia started, the oxygen was clearly something made by the Enclosure, to get the weak and hurt the strong. It got to her, threatening to kill her brother, and choke her. Taking Devin away to the Enclosure mad scientist labs for experiments and killing Eliza at the hands of her own. Somethings she'd never think she'd do on her own, but now hit all to close to home.

She didn't bother talking to Eliza about her problems, Rowan was out of the equation, and Devin was overprotective. He didn't need to be, they just met and she already felt herself grow tired. Her thoughts quickly cluttered and she felt her boot hit a rock below her. Devin stopped walking dropping the bag he was carrying and ran over to her. Eliza followed behind him, opening the bag on Cove's shoulder to a first aid kit.

Devin looked over his shoulder, he knew where they were, the border, but the worst border to be at. They were at a Russian base, he stood up looking around only to see a figure with a black bandana wrapped around his face.

"Shit,"

"What, something little Devin can't handle?" Rowan hesitated, before looking upa t the top bunker.

"No, we're in Russian territory, where'd you put my gun." Devin grumbled, looking up to Rowan who shrugged his shoulders.

"Our team leader was the one who said you couldn't have it. So I can't tell you where it is unti-" Before Rowan could finish his sentance he heard a shot, and Devin grabbed the gun from Rowan's belt.

"Get Cove to the pillars base, I'll take care of the Russian scum." Devin quickly shot in the direction of the people standing at the head of the Russian base, before hearing a girl scream something in Russian.

He spotted a girl with the same black bandana, but one around her mouth and the other holding up her long blonde hair. She had a dark set of blue eyes, but she stared Devin down, clearly they knew each other. Cove, opened her eyes the slightest, letting out a small groan. Eliza's hand wrapped around Cove's cold wrist. Hoping some how she could stabilize her. But with their current cituation, there was no way they could calm her down.