one × back

(Read the AN at the end if you're confused! :-))

22nd October 2010

Seagate Middle School, located in the small town of Bishop, California, was pretty ordinary. The hallways were loud and packed with awkward tweens chatting at their lockers (jam packed with various pictures of celebrities and the occasional book) which lined the white-washed walls; teachers trying their hardest to make it out of the corridor alive and a trio of 14 year olds stood together.

If you were a student at Seagate Middle School, you'd know that the three were best friends. You'd know that Calum and Amelia, the tall, tan boy and short, blonde haired girl, had a thing back in the summer of '09 and that Michael, the tall floppy-haired boy, was jealous at the time, but was over it now.

Amelia, Calum and Michael stood together, outside their coincidentally placed consecutive lockers: discussing plans for the weekend and aimlessly chatting. Younger pupils would walk by ever so often, taking care not to bump into the olderkids whilst juggling various textbooks and art packs that would be no doubt lost by the end of their time here. Calum, Amelia and Michael were at their final year at Seagate and at the stage of choosing their high schools.

The obvious choice for Bishop locals were: Bishop Creek High and Bishop Union High, if you had money: you'd go to Independence Private, a prestigious boarding school about 50 minutes out of Bishop; you'd go to Parkway Community School if you wanted to become an alcoholic and/or drug dealer and finally, if you loved arts to the point that you didn't care about what people thought you'd go to Trey Arts School.

Bishop, being as small as it is, prides itself in the closemindedness of its locals. Yes, the proud Bishopans believe in the most ignorant of things and absolutely hatethe performing arts. The hatred starting from the old days was so strong that kids today still have the sour taste in their mouths. Thus, meaning that you go to Trey Arts - you lose all your friends.

Now, what Michael Clifford was trying oh-so hard to keep from his two best friends was the fact that he had been awarded a music scholarship to attend Trey Arts School. In Michael's eyes: it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to do what he so dearly loved, however in the eyes of everyone else around him: it was worse than taking drugs.

So now we are given a tough situation: how will Michael tell his friends that he has accepted the scholarship?

"So guys, I know we're all sick of hearing about high schools, but where are you guys gonna go?", Michael sneakily asked, trying to find a way to tell his two best friends his unpopular choice of school.

"Bishop Union, obviously, Mike", Calum said, acting like it was no big deal at all, and that his friend should know this by know. However, I'm sure that the reaction he got by Amelia was what neither were hoping for.

"What!", she questioned, clearly outraged by Calum's choice of high school. "I thought we were all going to Bishop Creek?" Oh boy was Amelia wrong, Michael bit his lip in anxiety and wanted nothing more than to sink into the white floor of the corridor.

Calum stopped his descent to the cafeteria to give Amelia a wide eyed look of dumbfounded ness. Calum was sure the three were going to carry on to Bishop Union together, whereas Amelia was certain the trio would continue to Bishop Creek. It's 0 points to Gryffindor as we know that both of their assumptions were wrong.

"No Amelia we're going to Bishop Union, like we've been planning since we joined the school!", at this point, Calum's voice had been raised to a high level as he stood in the middle of a now deserted corridor.