prologue

Living in a small town, like Bishop in California, meant quite a number of things:

1) you knew everyone and everything about them, 2) word travelled isanely fast, 3) you were forced to befriend many people, regardless of your opinions on them and 4) you had to like and dislike certain people.

According to the United States Census Bureau, in 2013, the population of Bishop, Inyo County, California, was 3, 865. Not the smallest town in Cali, but neither the largest.

Bishop was not a place in which people would say "oh wow, I'd love to travel there", if you'd just met them out of Bishop, and had began talking, on perhaps an airplane - or by chance in the street (most likely pretending to be interested). It wasn't a place which had become popular due to celebrities being born and raised there - it was just plain, old Bishop.

Plain, old Bishop, in which the were only 2 main, normal high schools, which both happened to be rivals: Bishop Creek High School and Bishop Union High School. There was also Trey Arts School and Parkway Community School - however the school for artists and the school for convicts didn't play much of a part in this feud.

Plain, old Bishop, in which there were only 3 doctors, whom all knew each other well: David Hood, Daryl Clifford and Lana Grace. Each whom had children, coincidently all the same age, who were forced to be friends from a very young age: Calum Hood, Michael Clifford and Amelia Grace.

Like most cases, the trio were inseparable from birth to 14 -  until they parted. Calum Hood finished at Hope Elementry School, went to Seagate Middle School, and finally to Bishop Union; Amelia Grace finished, also, at Hope Elementry and Seagate Middle School, however went on to Bishop Creek High School and Michael Clifford went on from Hope Elementry and Seagate Middle Schools to Trey Arts School.

They had each promised one another to stay best friends, wherever they went, through means of pinky promises, friendship bracelets, rule books, secret clubs, and various other cliché best friend traditions. However, this promise was short lived. They had exchanged polite emails, offering questions about their new schools and new friends but soon lost touch altogether.

3 years later and here they are, each at their own high school - senior year - having had no contact with each other whatsover. Rivalry between high schools means that even if they had wanted to get together once more - they could not.

But who knows if Amelia remembers Calum's name or if Michael remembers Amelia's. Who knows if Calum remembers that Amelia likes her soda with exactly 5 ice cubes in it, or if Amelia remembers that Michael can only wear shoes that have laces on them? Who knows if Michael remembers that Calum hates the colour blue, yet his mother painted his room that exact color and refused to changed it? Who knows if Amelia remembers that Calum likes sitting under trees in parks, pulling the grass out from the ground and making a pile of it? Who knows if Michael remembers that Amelia's favorite number is 18 and that she wrote it anywhere she could?

Who knows? Who knows if your father is even your father or if your mother is even your mother without your birth certificate? Who knows if you're actually 12 but just celebrated your 10th birthday without your actual birth date? Who knows if the Earth is in space without images to prove so? Who knows anything without proof?

Trust is nothing but a synonmn for false belief in something that has no proof. You may trust your sister to catch you, when you do a trust exercise in which you fall into her hands; you may trust your best friend in choosing a good meal at a restaurant for you, when you can't decide what to get, or you may trust your bed to not collapse when you jump on it for the millionth time, screaming Taylor Swift's lyrics out at the top of your lungs.

But you never know - unless you have proof, and that trust turns into knowledge.