Christmas Prompt ~ 2019

Cheryl spotted you from across the room. Your miserable look and the fact you weren't milling with your friends made it clear that you were upset and not enjoying yourself. Something Cheryl deemed a personal offence.

"Why do you look so sour. I would think you'd love a party like this. After all I put so much time and effort into it" She said with a sharp bit to her tone.

"I'm not feeling in the holiday mood, I'm sorry." You answered, not wanting to annoy her.

"I heard your parents will be away for Christmas." She said, her comment felt like she'd struck you. With a sigh you looked at her.

"What do you want Cheryl?" You asked suspiciously.

"I wanted to tell you I know what it's like, after Daddy and my dear brother Jason. I know what it's like to feel lonely in the holiday seasons. When you lose family." She paused with a dramatic sigh before fixing you with smile. "Treat every day like Christmas."

"They'll be back in February." You said quietly.

"Well, until then, consider yourself a guest in my house, you can't spend all that time alone." She offered, her smile was deceptively kind however her eyes flashed dangerously.

"Thank you Cheryl." You said, unsure what else to say.

"Well, not that's sorted. I think Betty and Veronica want to start swapping gifts." she yanked you up from your chair and led you to where Cheryl had ordered all of the party guests to gather.