CHAPTER 8

"More toast guys?" Sindy asked in a chirpy tone as she scrambled eggs at the stove.

"No thanks." Martin and Wade replied respectively.

Sindy nodded with a smile and continued with the eggs. She realized that Brett had not come down for breakfast and they had five minutes left before heading off to school. Brett was the first at the table in the mornings always amped up, he was the most cheerful morning person in the house.

"Is Brett coming down for breakfast his quite late?" Martin asked then sipped his coffee.

"Probably another late night assignment." Wade chimed in.

Sindy thought so too she knew that her son took his school work seriously and had a good head on his shoulders nevertheless she knew that he was also still a kid and needed to lighten up once a while being caged in his room most of his time was not healthy at all. She noticed Brett's isolation for the past few months she did not think much of it she hoped that he was ok. Sindy decided to go up and check on him.

"I think that I should go up and check on him." Sindy suggested.

Both Martin and Wade nodded in agreement.

Sindy wiped her hands on a kitchen towel and made her way upstairs. She knocked on Brett's door and waited. Brett had not answered so she tried again this time speaking.

"Brett honey, are you awake breakfast is ready?"

There was silence. Sindy began to worry she hated walking into the boy's rooms without their permission while they were in it however Brett's silence was something unusual to her. She twisted the door nob, entered and at the same time spoke, "Brett are you ok?"

She saw Brett under the covers asleep. He had tiny beads of sweat on his forehead. Sindy also realized that the room was awfully hot and stuffy as if the window had not been open in days.

Brett opened his eyes and spoke in a broken tone, "Not well mom."

Sindy felt pity and wiped the sweat off his forehead, "Perhaps we should see Doctor Brown."

Brett refused, "No I just need some rest."

Sindy bit her bottom lip not really keen with Brett's response nevertheless she did not want to be pushy and make Brett feel worse.

"Ok but if you don't improve by later on today then we will see Doctor Brown." Sindy said.

Brett nodded in agreement and Sindy smiled. She heard shouts of 'goodbyes' come from Martin and Wade from downstairs, the slamming of the door then silence.

Sindy realised that she made plans to pop in to see an old friend of hers today, Merese Tilley. Her mother had been admitted in the local hospital from a heart attack. Sindy did not think it would be wise to now go and leave Brett unsupervised even though Becky would be around.

Brett noticed his mother's mind reeling with a million thoughts and felt guilty he knew that she probably had some plans and errands to run and did not want to hold her back. Of course he would not mind her being around he would of felt much more at ease however he did not want her to suspect his reasons for the way he was acting and Becky was at home it was during the day after all.