CHAPTER 18

Merese felt petrified. She could not believe that Cheryl was the one that kidnapped Sindy's son.

"I'm so shocked. I trusted her with the kids with my son. I allowed her in my home." Merese said dramatically.

"We need to know everything that you know about her Merese." Mary said drastically.

"Well she's from Springs, she was living there with her uncle and his girlfriend..." Merese said perplexed, "Mrs .Stevens how do you know her?" Merese asked curiously.

Sindy spotted the uneasiness in Mary's eyes and bit her bottom lip.

"She was a friend of my daughter, Lauren. My daughter was a selfish and naïve nuthead. And she made an inappropriate promise to Cheryl. She promised to give my grandson Wade to her when he was born and when Lauren had runaway and disappeared she had confronted me about it. She became like a tick on my skin about it. So I threatened to put a restraining order against her and told her to get lost." Mary said crisply.

Sindy saw that Merese had bought Mary's story, she was your mother's illegitimate daughter Merese, Mary along with your mother had supposedly gotten rid of her however didn't and she met Lauren years later and they discovered the truth. Lauren made some agreement of handing Wade over to Cheryl. Lauren disappeared and Cheryl confronted Mary. Mary paid Cheryl handsomely and told her to get lost for some reason she had returned to abduct Wade and mistook him for Brett, Sindy thought feeling agony.

"So why did she kidnap Brett if she had wanted Wade?" Merese asked confused.

"I'm going to call Martin." Sindy announced.

"She mistook Brett for Wade." Mary replied.

"We must all go home at once, Martin and detective Norton are on their way there," Sindy announced then turned to Merese, "Merese I'm so sorry for the inconvenience however you need to come with us since you know Cheryl and interacted with her, you could also tell detective Norton what you do know about her."

Merese nodded, "Of course, let me just speak to Alauna and I will meet you all there."

Mary and Sindy thanked Merese and left along with Cheryl's résumé glad at the same time afraid to have a sense of direction of who had kidnapped Brett.

Merese on the other hand was astonished and fearful. She could not believe that sweet Cheryl Carter had turned out to be a malicious kidnapper. So the saying 'don't judge a book by its cover' is true after all. How could Cheryl do such a horrendous thing?

So did she lie about leaving to attend to her sick uncle in Springs? It now did make sense. When Brett had been kidnapped she had left.

Merese felt her heart wrench. There was so much that she had wanted to know.

Who was Cheryl really. Is her name really Cheryl Carter anyway?

Merese grabbed her hand bag and keys ready to leave. She spoke to Alauna leaving her in charge then scurried to her car as she wondered fearfully, What else don't I know about her?

***

"Mrs. Tilley, what else did Cheryl tell you about herself?" Norton asked.

All eyes were now planted on Merese.

Merese looked at everyone bewildered, "Well nothing in depth, she was quite private about herself. She just told me about the basics like who she stayed with, she told me her parents were diseased..." she revealed everything that she could fathom about what she had learned.