Bearded Dragon Care

4 things to know about your bearded dragon

Your bearded dragon can live as long as 10-15 years.

Your bearded dragon may grow up to 24 inches

Bearded dragons are medium-size desert lizards and range from red to brown to yellow to white

These friendly reptiles also move their arms in a way that looks like they're waving hello

How do I set up my bearded dragon's home?

Once he's fully grown, you'll want a glass terrarium of at least 40 gallons in volume (that's 32 to 36 inches long) with a screened lid for him to live in. Your bearded dragon is from a warm, dry environment so you'll also need a heating source for his home. Your dragon prefers the solitary life.

Babies need 10-20 gallons of space.

Juveniles need 20 gallons of space.

Adults need 40 gallons or more of space.

What can I put in my bearded dragon's terrarium?

To remind him of the desert of his ancestors, line the bottom of your bearded dragon's terrarium with two to three inches of white sand, or invest in reptile carpet. Carpet is a better choice for younger bearded dragons. Scoop up waste at least once a week, and treat him to fresh bedding once a month.

Reptiles can be finicky about comfortable room temperature. Be sure to give your bearded dragon a piece of driftwood or rock, to climb a little closer to his heat source, or to hide behind. Add a few branches for hiding and climbing.

Heating & lighting

Bearded dragons are ectotherms. That means they'll need both a reliable source of heat and a cooler area to stay comfy. Here are some more tips on heating and lighting to keep in mind:

Heating

Your dragon's habitat should have a thermometer at each end, as well as a hygrometer—a device that measures humidity. Your bearded dragon thrives when humidity is between 20% and 30%.

If humidity is less than 20%, a light misting once day is sufficient.

Place your heat light over the basking spot, which should be the warmest area in the habitat during the day: 100 to 110 degrees Fahrenheit (38 to 49 Centigrade). The cool end should be about 75 to 85 F (24 to 29 C).

Turn the basking light off at night. Use a ceramic heat emitter or night heat lamp to keep the temperature between 66 and 75 degrees F (18 to 24 C).

Lighting

Bearded dragons are active during day and sleep at night — just like you. Unlike you, they like basking under a UVA/UVB bulb for about 12 hours each day.

For night viewing, switch to a night-specific bulb to keep from disturbing your bearded dragon

What do bearded dragons eat?

Bearded dragons are omnivores - they eat both plants and meat. Feed your bearded dragon two to three times a day. A young hatchling will mostly eat small insects. But once your bearded dragon is a bit more mature, he'll enjoy vegetables, too. Make sure to clean his water and food bowl regularly.

Insects: crickets, mealworms and wax worms, dust with calcium supplement every other day.

Vegetables: chopped collard greens, artichoke, bell peppers, blueberries, strawberries, strawberry leaves, chopped apple slices, etc  = 25-50 percent of diet, depending upon age

Fruits: apples, bananas, melons once a week = 5 percent of diet

Prepared diets: pelleted blend once daily