Chapter 1 - Introduction

Riley Matthews is sitting outside a building waiting for a girl to come out as she has gotten yet another detention which has been her third one this week.
Maya Hart comes out of school clearly with tears running down her face.
Riley smiles as she embraces her friend.
The fifteen year old has been through a lot to just give in and as many of her friends know she can't just do what anyone wants.
She always does things like she sees them and for the past few years she hasn't actually been seeing it like she should.

After her biological father came back in her life and then just disappeared it felt like she was missing something.
Something that made her who she was.
Yet she has no idea where that girl is who she was ten years ago.
And neither does she want to guess about it.

"Was Mr Harris really bad? They say he is one of the most terrible people in the world. Well the kids who's had detention from him," Riley said.
"Maya are you okay?" Riley asked.

Her best friend has also gotten in the mood to not talk whenever something like this happens.
She would do a lot of stuff.
Not talk, not look you in the eye there was even a time when she wouldn't eat.
She had everybody worried but that was back in her freshman year.
Now the girls are in their sophomore year and trying to get everything done before college.
Riley wanted to do something either like her mother or her grandparents.
Maya had no idea what she actually wanted to do with her life and because of that she can't exactly be something.
She is just going on with her life as it is right now and maybe she can figure out what to do in the future.

"Can we just go?" Maya asked and Riley nod as they moved forward to get back home.

Maya has always been someone very strong but she hasn't been lately.
She has been breaking down a lot more often and suddenly she is feeling like the biggest failure on the planet.
At least in New York.
But suddenly everyone around her is disappearing.

~

Maya was sitting in the Matthews house living room busy keeping the little Auggie Matthews and his baby sister, Ella, busy.
Ever since Topanga had another child about a year ago she had no idea she would have to find a whole new way of living.
Including how much she would need help from her husband's History student.
Topanga comes through the door immediately scooping Ella up.

"Hey Big girl. You miss me? I don't know how I did the working thing with Auggie and Riley. It's terrible being apart from my child," Topanga said.
"What about me?" Auggie asked and Topanga smiled.
"From all of you. I don't know how your mother does it," Topanga said and Maya sighed.
"Yeah. Probably very strong," Maya said as she stood up.

Topanga was clearly way too busy with Ella to see that Maya was in kind of a state which was good.
The less people know about her the better.
Riley suddenly comes out of her room looking for Maya.

"Good. Uncle Josh called. He's picking us up. He literally has nothing to do so he wants to show us around campus," Riley said.
"Maybe you. I don't think be meant me. You go Riles. I'll be fine," Maya said.
"No come with! After the tour we are going to do something with my uncle. A party or something. Please," Riley said and Maya sighed.
"Find but look at me! I'm a mess," Maya said.
"I can easily fix that. Let's go," Riley said as she dragged Maya to her room.

~

After pretty much ten outfits later Maya finally got something which suited her personality and was putting on some light make-up as Riley was curling her hair.
Maya smiles as her best friend wants to go all out.
Maya finishes up with some lip gloss and then she puts on some boots to make the look.
She puts on a pair of earrings and then she looks up at her friend.

Maya's outfit

"How many hours are we behind?" Maya asked

"Gosh! We need to get going. Good you have comfortable shoes on. Let's go," Riley said and they were gone.