Monday, November 25th, 2019

To the restaurant I went to this morning,

I don't often write letters to massive groups of people, but I believe that today, I must. When I walked into your restaurant, I was immediately impressed by the sharpie-covered wooden walls. With names and doodles and hearts, each wooden plank was unique, and each wooden plank had hundreds of stories. I myself, love the idea of the human psychological want to make a mark in hopes that they are not forgotten. We love to keep our stories alive for as long as we can, and as I looked around I saw millions of living stories all written in various colours of ink. The sight was beautiful, and I admit that I wanted to put my story on the wooden walls as well, but I restrained myself. Instead, I curiously headed into the bathroom to see what the situation was in there. I was met with clean tile and green walls covered by red signs labeled "Please do not write on the walls." It puzzled me how a place could encourage writing on everywhere it shouldn't be, and then ban it everywhere it usually lives. Why ban encouragements in the one place you go to cry? Why ban writing in the one place where you are alone to think? I find that decision fascinating, for it goes back on every common sense rule I know. However, you are free to make decisions, are you not? I light a candle in hopes that you keep your restaurant the way it is.

One day, you will find writing on the bathroom stalls,

A Silent Customer