~ Chapter 2 ~

I wasn't like Bethany. I didn't get beat, didn't get depression or severe anxiety. I actually had a very close relationship to my family. They punished me for bad behavior just like parents should, but never so inhumane like Beth's.

To think of it, I have so much more love and comfort than Bethany ever did. Yet, she sent the message I need more. This came clear by the time I started going back to school.

*****

"Hey Kori, how are you holding up?" my Calculus teacher asked.

"Well, thanks," I replied as I gathered my things to leave. I packed my calculator and pencil in one hand, with my notebook and textbook in the other. I eventually got them situated where I kept both arms around everything so nothing would fall.

I nodded to my teacher to give a final thanks, and as a I went to turn the corner, another student bumped into me.

"Oh! Sorry. Let me help you with those," the student quickly spoke.

Everything fell due to the sudden crash. I wasn't carrying my things tightly enough for a casual bump to not cause damage.

The student handed me my things. I met his eyes for the first time - they were so green, like I was adventuring through a jungle. A lighter green peaked around, reminding me of the sun coming through the leaves. A couple of brown speckles led my mind to little tree trunks. His eyes were a jungle all on their own.

"Uh," I pushed myself out of my daze. "Thanks."

"No problem," he answered, and walked into class.

My next class was Physics. Or, was it Psychology? All I saw was the P; I was caught in a daydream.

His hair was a dark golden brown, swept to one side and flipped up on the ends. This look was known as the "skater dude", a popular style for a teenage guy. It fit him nice, accenting his bold jaw line and cute nose.
Little did I know class had ended already as I finally snapped out of it.

"If only Bethany was here, she would think he was so hot," I whispered to myself, giggling under my breath.

I didn't see him for the rest of the day, but that was okay. I just met the guy. I don't even know his name! I couldn't be crushing and already in the "stalker stage" as I like to call it.

I got home and rummaged to find my most recent picture of Bethany. I put it up to my window, closing my door in case someone came home. I didn't want anyone think I gone crazy or something. Mom and Dad are at work, and my brother is at t-ball practice. Perfect time.

"Beth, I know you're out there. You said you would be. You keep your word," I started, looking to the sky. "Thanks for the rain. But you can let the sun out now. I've accepted the fact that you're dead, but I won't move on. I know you're here. You're still my best friend, and no matter what happens that won't change."

I smiled and turned back to my desk. I got out my homework from today and started working on it.

"Kori! Dinner is ready!" I heard my mom call out several hours later.

I stepped downstairs to see before me a grand dinner. There was quite a bit for only having four people in the house. I questioned this.

"Mom, why so much?"

"I invited the new neighbors over. That's what they do in movies and it always seems to go well. So, why not?" I laughed at her weirdness. "Plus they have a son that is only two years older than you. You might make a new friend."

I pushed away the thought of anyone getting as close to me as Bethany did. Parents and siblings were different. They were family, and while some best friends are family, mine wasn't. Mine was simply a best friend. I wasn't going to change the name. I felt that title was something special in its own way.

"When should they be here?" Dad called out from the living room around the corner.

"Anytime!" My mom called back. She then looked my direction. "Why don't you go get Xavier? Make sure he looks good for our guests."

"Yeah, sure." I answered, heading back upstairs to my brother's bedroom. He was playing with classic Lego's and pretending a Nerf gun was "the mighty weapon".

I laughed along with his childhood innocence. "C'mon bro! Put on something nice for mom. You know how she is."

Xavier smirked and got on a pair of jeans. I helped him pick out a welcoming shirt - one that didn't have juice box stains or Minecraft artwork.

As we came back down to eat, the neighbors had already arrived and sat down with Mom and Dad.

That's when I recognized him.

The cute boy who I bumped into was my new neighbor?!