Swimming

Words: 1.1k

Warnings: none

Callum had always been an easy blusher.

He was told as a kid that he got flustered way too easily for his own good, which caused a lot of trouble when it came to odd sword ceremonies... or whatever they were called. His skin was pretty pale as well, so it was nothing more than obvious when he had stepped onto the stage with his face as red as a tomato:

So you can only get a taste of how flustered he was when he invited Rayla to swim at the beach.

--

"Rayla," Callum began, grabbing a hold of her arm. 

"I don't want to, Callum! Don't make me! Please!" Rayla begged. "I will literally do anything except swim. Please. Anything else is okay, just please, don't make me do that-- how about I make you those human cookies, or whatever you call them, uh, for-"

"You have to learn sooner or later. Come on, it's easy." The prince chided, ignoring pleas. 

He led her to the ocean, the waves crashing down onto the yellow sand, creating white foamy bubbles that seemed to be soap.

"But, you know, wouldn't it be easier to just-" 

"Hey, it's going to be fine. You're here with me."

Callum led her to the water when he realized, "You're probably going to be needing a swimsuit,"

"Oh. Right." She said, grateful for Callum's absent mind.

They headed over to the mall, a few places next to the beach, and Callum tried to find a swimsuit for her. But he forgot one fact- he did not understand girls. And Rayla hadn't gone swimming much before.

Which left him helpless.

Then he remembered: He and Claudia used to swim a lot together as kids!

Now, what did she wear?

Well, most of the time, she wore a bikini, but that wasn't going to do because... well, she's Rayla. He rummaged through aisle by aisle, when he heard Rayla say, 

"How does this one look?" She held up a black tankini with straps of fabrics that hung loosely around her waist with golden imprints etched onto the sides.

The prince didn't know much what to say, and he didn't know much about modern fashion-- "Uh, sure, Rayla. I'll be waiting outside for you."

A few minutes later, Rayla came out of the changing room- and Callum had to hide his face in his scarf as his face flushed red, heat rising to his cheeks as he swallowed. 

She was so... so... 

beautiful.

He stammered, "Y-You look great, uh, Rayla." He flushed, ears getting hot. 

"Thanks, Callum. So... do you want to teach me now?"

Callum snapped out of his trance, "Sure, yeah, er, sure." 

They ran barefoot across the hot soft yellow sand, laughing as if there was no care in the world.

"Okay, Ray, the first thing you want to do is to just let your arms swing free, push in the water." The prince grabbed onto her wrist, the contact of skin making him blush all over again. 

His heart did a mini-relay race against his chest as she smiled, both looking like an absolute mess.

"Now, just kick your feet," he instructed. "Make sure to have lots of balance, okay?"

"I- Callum-! This doesn't work," Rayla pouted in disbelief. 

"It won't work in the first few tries," Callum laughed. "You just have to keep trying, yeah?"

Rayla clearly seemed disappointed as she frowned, immediately jumping back out of the water when she nearly fell in. 

"Rayla!" Callum yelled through laughs. "You can't run away from your problems forever."

"But I can always murder them-" she said, reaching for where her blades normally would be, but she just ended up being met with her swimsuit. "I hate this!"

"It gets better," Callum chided. "Cooome on. Let's go."

Rayla groaned as Callum suddenly whispered aspiro behind her, and she was tossed face into the water.

She sputtered and gasped as if she were 40 feet underwater, when it reality, it was nothing more than up to her hips. "You nearly killed me!"

Callum raised an eyebrow. "Did I?"

"Yes!" Rayla groaned. "But..." she looked down at the water. "I guess it's not that bad."

"HA!" Callum cried. "I knew it, I knew it, I knew it."

Rayla sighed. "Quit your singing and help me. What's the next step?"

"Oh, right-!" Callum said eagerly. "Then kind of just plunge underwater-- it should come naturally. Make sure to focus on the idea of being held up but at the same time, being completely submerged. Kick your feet and focus, and BE SURE TO CALM DOWN-"

He made sure to yell the last part before he was met with a salty splash of water to the mouth. 

She was actually swimming!

It had taken him years for him to learn, and in less than a few minutes, she got the hang of it.

"I guess it's not that bad."

She laughed, which was something he hadn't heard in a long time.

Her white hair sparkled in the sun, her pale skin shining in the saltwater. Her eyes gleamed as her laugh was like a sip of water after a long day.

The prince soon changed into his clothes again, and he led the elf out of the water into the hot sun to relax.

"Seee?" Callum sang. "I told you-"

"Shut up," Rayla said, trying to hide her smile. "You barely helped."

Callum gasped. "Of course I helped! What are you talking about?"

"Whatever," Rayla muttered. "Let's just go back, I'm starving."

"No, but-" Callum sprang forward to catch up to his girlfriend, who was already leaving. "What do you mean, I barely helped-?"

"Last one to the snowcone stand is a rotten dragon egg!"