Chapter 6

With the kids out on a Sunday play date, I decided to keep myself distracted and occupied. I color in a small shed I built on the yard behind the house, it's my little safe haven. I don't paint very often, only when Luke's away and the kids are asleep or out playing. Sighing, I subconsciously put the end of the paintbrush in my mouth and stare long and hard at the canvas in front of me, something was wrong with it, there was clearly something I was missing and I could never tell what it was. Maybe it's the eyes, the left side looks quite narrowed in my view or its the lips, or perhaps it's the shadow of the jawline, Ugh! Or maybe it's all of it, everything is wrong.

I stared at it for a little longer, biting down hard on the paintbrush in frustration. I've been working on this exact piece for a while and I can't seem to get it right. I have thought of just starting a new slate but for some reason, I'm drawn to it, I can't explain why. Maybe I should take a break, relax a bit. Dance a little.

I turned on the stereo in the room and tying my hair up, I began swaying to, Joro – Wizkid playing loudly on the stereo, hands in the air, hips moving like an uncoiling rope

I turned on the stereo in the room and tying my hair up, I began swaying to, Joro – Wizkid playing loudly on the stereo, hands in the air, hips moving like an uncoiling rope. I take my brushes to the sink and banding against the board, I take the time to rinse them out thoroughly before returning to the canvas. I swayed slowly as I stared at it and when I perceived what I thought was wrong with, I began painting again.

Time flew by while I passed time in the studio and then I went to rinse off before I went to wait on the kids. It's been an hour and still, Maria wasn't home with the kids. I reached for the phone to phone to call her and on the first ring she picked up, I didn't wait for her to speak, "Maria, where are my boys?" I said and waited to hear what she has to say, "I don't care, just bring my kids home?" I said and hung up. Sighing, I dropped the phone, when I heard the front door unlock.

"Look at this tacky ass color, Bitch be thinking she white now." I heard Amaya sassy tone at the door,

"Hey, be nice." Another voice, I'm guessing is Chante's cautioned.

I let out a sigh and placing the phone back properly I went out to the living to find Chante sprawled on the couch, "Hey sis." Chante extends her arms as she came towards me.

"Chante, that key I gave you is for an emergency and not for you to barge in anytime you want," I said and she throws in a guilty cringe and I shook my head at her before looking around. "I could swear I heard Amaya's voice." And just as I said it, I heard the guest toilet flush And Amaya spurted out, sighing deeply. "Girl, you gotta get your maid to clean that bathroom, those damn tacos."

"Amaya!"

"Hey, Jiji." Her eyes gleamed as she walked towards me, "Ooo! Girl...you have to tell me what you use in that damn skin. Chile it looks like you've been dipped in chocolate, and rolled in moon dust with a sprinkle of Gold."