Part One

VWOORP! VWOORP! VWOORP!

The Type-Z TARDIS, piloted by the Time Lord known multi-universally as the "Gladiator of Gallifrey," dematerialized atop the roof of a building in the east side of Manhattan. The Gladiator, whose Gallifreyan birth name was "Neas," stepped out of her module in her latest eighth incarnation: an athletic, tall blond Australian, physically in her early forties. Neas christened this incarnation with the name of "Lindy." She was almost never without a warm smile on her attractive face.

            Yet that smile faded a little as she observed how derelict the rooftop she landed on was

Yet that smile faded a little as she observed how derelict the rooftop she landed on was. The district itself wasn't as welcoming. Most of the neighboring residences were either in worse shape or completely torn down. The mechanical rumblings of construction machines built for demolition, including bulldozers and cranes hauling wrecking balls, ran across the mountains of rubble.

In between the rumblings, Lindy heard commotion down below. Looking over the edge, she spotted a group of hoodlums tossing an old man out through the front entrance of a café interconnected with the building's first floor. By the faded neon sign, Lindy saw its name to be "Frank's Café," and Frank must've been the old man being hassled.

As soon as she noticed one of the hoodlums walking back into the café to vandalize it, Lindy moved into action. She exited the rooftop, rushing down several flights of stairs and, along the way, seeing other damages that had been done to other areas of the building. When she made it to the café, the hoodlums were gone, leaving the café in shambles.

Frank walked in, desolate and humiliated.

"Sir, are you alright?" Lindy asked him.

He hardly even noticed the towering Australian blonde standing there. "No, I'm not alright!" he snapped at her. Lindy found his anger justifiable. "I'll never be alright. Not as long as Lacey keeps sendin' in his goons to run us out." He kicked at a banged-up toaster on the floor. "What a helluva way to spend Christmas."

Hearing what time of the year she arrived in surprised Lindy. "It's Christmas? I didn't see any decorations anywhere."

"Not much reason to celebrate with all this goin' on," Frank gestured to the construction happening right outside. "What's even the point? Ain't got any kids runnin' around here...just a bunch of hopeless souls."