07 | Approval

[ U N E D I T E D ]

[ U N E D I T E D ]

The afternoon sun reflected off the gleaming river, entering the blue-stained windows of the busy cafe. It was lunch hour, and Zea was having afternoon tea with her mother and Aunt Bella. She sipped on her earl grey tea as she glanced between two. She had promised to meet them right after her shift ended, she was regretting that decision now.

Its been a few weeks since her date with Lucas. Since then, their schedules have been hectic, their irregular off days clashing. However, they did make use of their lunch breaks, meeting up halfway between the hospital and Zea's animal clinic to get food, chat and just spend a few minutes together.

Tomorrow would be the first time since their date that their off days coincide and they planned to make full use of it. And what better way than a movie night at Lucas' home.

But first, she had to get through 20 questions courtesy Ms and Mrs Holson.

"So, who is he?"

"Or she."

Her mother, Kristy, had caught on to Zea. Kristy was barely past her mid-century. At 52, she didn't look a day over 30, with her dyed pixie-cut hair and youthful looks, Zea's mother was a beautiful, modern lady. Strangers, co-workers, friends all assumed they were sisters, and Zea couldn't blame them, their resemblance was uncanny. 

From their chestnut brown hair to their tall, slim build, the only noticeable difference between the two was their eyes. Kristy's rounded, green eyes, were a contrast to her daughter's deep-set cerulean ones, one of the only features she had inherited from her father.

The two ladies stared at Zea expectantly, waiting for answers. Sighing, Zea placed her cup down and cleared her throat, "His name is Lucas. He works at Parksite."

"A doctor too?" Zea nodded at her aunt's question. "How long?"

Zea's face crinkled as she tried to do the mental calculation, "Uh, about six weeks."

Her mum had a bright smile as she picked up her tea, "What kind of doctor?"

"He's a surgeon. Cardiovascular surgeon." Zea answered. She took a piece of scone, plopping an excessive amount of grape jam on it before taking a bite. Kristy shook her head lightly while smiling, fully aware of her daughter's need for sweet foods. 

"That's impressive! Hmm, the name rings a bell. What's his last name?" Her aunt asked clarifying.

Zea swallowed her food and licked her lips, "Brandons, Lucas Brandons."

Her aunt's eyes gradually widened and lit up, she dug her phone out of her Chanel purse. Her mother scrunched her eyebrows at her sister-in-law and took a sip of her tea, not sure why that name was so important.

Her aunt tapped the keys on her phone, before turning it to face Zea. "This Lucas Brandons?"

Zea nodded as soon as she saw his face on what looked to be an online article. She didn't realise Lucas was that well known, a simple Google search and viola, his dashing face was on the screen.