Book 1: To Bond with a Barbarian

Inside Midford Palace

Princess Tamara Garin's point of view

"Good eventide, milady" Bringing a warm smile and a fresh clean towel did my maid do her greetings. A smile as well is what I gave her. "Milady, it is time for your bath.  Lord Torren has ordered for me to assist you" She said as she do her curtsy.

"Do as you will" A stand is what I did after and gracefully yet normally faces her. "Of course, milady" She then helped me to the bathroom and undid my hair and clothes. The already-warm water filled with rose oil is where I dipped once I have gone naked.

There was a moan that escaped my mouth out of all the exhaustion of my day.

Gently, my maid rubs my back. "What color of gown would you like to wear for tomorrow's event, milady?" But her voice was a blur in my ears. I was deep in sensation with the waters in my tub that I can no longer understand her words. "Hmm?" I heard her giggle.

She laid my back and went for massaging my hair. "Milady, perhance thou art sleepy already. Therefore I shall make your bathing quick and just ask you tomorrow morning" What she said made me back on my tracks.

I fluttered my eyes open and sleepily looked at her. "What event is it that you say?" I have not remembered having any events by tomorrow, at least not what my brother is telling me. "Tomorrow is the arrival of the King of Cordington. I believe that it is also when you and him will be engage" Explained she.

My insides went into pandemonium.

"ENGAGE!?" I sat up straight causing some water to spill and splash. My maid has flinched with my sudden outburst. 

Oh my... how improper for a princess

I quickly regained my composure and clears my throat. "How come my brother did not give me a word of this?" My maid just bowed her head and apologized. "I am sorry princess but even if I know the answer, I am in no place to tell such things"

I bit my lip. Of course she would answer that.

"I understand. And forgive me for my recent outburst" She then gave her acceptance of it with another bow. Gods! Engagement!? with a stranger king? Why so brother?

I sighed.

"I desire of sleeping. Please, help me up" And so she did, giving me my robe and going out the room to prepare my nightgown. 

Does Arthur know of this? Perhance no. He shall stop this if he did, that is an assurance. And how I hope he does cease it...

Once I am dressed, I've decided to visit my brother in his room. We shall have a word about this. "I am leaving now, milady. Good e'en." But to cease her I did. "By the way, next time Lord Torren gives you commands, do not follow. Take this as an order from your real overseer" She then agreed and did her curtsy before leaving.

After the door closes, I quickly reach for my robe and lit a candle. I have to see Arthur, if we must run away then be it.

"Milady, where shall you be at this point of time, may I ask?" The chief of guards, Theodore, has asked. I gulped. I vow to never lie to my people but for Arthur, I will.

"To my brother's bedroom. I shall talk to him. You go back to where you must be for I will be fine" Although hesitation is etched on his scarred face, he bowed and let me pass. "As you wish, milady" As soon as he's out of sight, I ran towards the other way of the hall.

Straight to the room of the guards in a certain wing of the castle I go. There were footsteps and so I hid behind a wall, three doors afar from Arthur's room, I believe.

I blow off the light of my candle and just as the footsteps faded did I tiptoe towards the room of my knight. Once I reached it, I knocked twice yet didn't wait for him to open for I went straightly in.

Only then have I realize how wrong my decision is. I saw him. On the bed. With a girl he's passionately kissing...

I gasp and dropped my candle as my hand covers my mouth.

My chest aches, I can't breathe. There was like a lump in my throat. And I was shaking... h-how could he?

I felt as if my legs were melting, my eyes were watering so much. But they didn't stop... they didn't even mind me. They just continued what they were doing, drowning themselves with each other.

"Stop..." I whispered. I couldn't speak... I couldn't breathe. "Stop... p-please" I was sobbing. God how could he!? I've loved him ever since we were young!

"STOP!!" I screamed and only then did they stop.

And only then did I shook awake... breathing fast... with fear and panic... and with tears in my eyes.

I look around and saw I'm  on bed, with my nightgown that my maid gave me.

I shut my eyes tight and sighed. A dream... a nightmare, that's all it was.

I lay back to bed and briefly wonder if the engagement is somehow true and not a dream... but sleep caught me again leaving me clueless of tomorrow.