Chapter II

Midford Palace's Meeting Hall...

"Brother." I started. He's facing his back on me, with his favorite cup of wine in hand while standing with authority by the window. "I knew you'd come but I wasn't expecting you so soon" Calmly he said, still not bothering to face me.

I sharply inhaled.

Towards I go to get closer to him. "I wanted to ask you why." He smirks before facing me with an impassive look. "Should you not be asking how, my dear sister?" Of course I knew what he meant. I looked away; I don’t want to defy him this quick with his answers.

“Brother please… let us talk” I tried once more “We are talking!” He hissed which made me cringe. He will be mad for sure, but I gave no time for myself to prepare his outbursts.

He sighed rather forcefully, like trying really hard to control his temper. I couldn’t look at him in the eyes.

He walks toward the great table and put down his glass of wine on it. He slowly sat on the chair at the very top and center of the long table, knowing how I would get his message, he got the higher place. Anyone knows that whoever sits at the very top of the table is truly the top of them all.

“Now my dear sister, we will talk.” His stares are daggers, piercing into me and into my soul. “Sit.” His tone is cold. Times like this happen when he gets mad, furious with me. I gulped.

I promised myself to be determined but I just can’t help but feel nervous. I will push my brother, Lord Torren, to the edge of his patience—patience with me.

Therefore I must choose my words wisely; and I sat by his right, like always.

“You said you have come to ask something, am I right?” There is so much formality in his voice; I couldn’t comprehend what he was saying so easily; I’m not used. “Y-yes..” I stutter. “Then what is it?” This is it.

“Brother, Lord Torren, forgive me for keeping what I and Arthur have. I love him—“ But he suddenly cut me off with a bang on the table. He looks at me with blazing fire in his eyes, fire of anger. YOU call that love?I cringe once more.

“B-brother no—please, listen” I purr a beg. “We truly love each other, we’ve got dreams; A plan for our future! And he respects me!” I said. “Then why did you two kept it as a secret?” His tone is challenging yet his face shows nothing away; Just his eyes..

“We may be sneaking out but he never did me any harm and he never put me into danger. He waited for me for years! You should know how hard and how sincere he must be for waiting for years!” I cried. “He waited for years because that’s not how he loves you but how he loves your possessions!” He stands up out of frustration this time.

“That’s not true. We’ve been friends ever since I can remember” I stand too, trying to see his reaction as his back faces me. “And I too, have been training him as the warrior he is now for years” I shake my head. This is impossible.

My tears are building up behind my eyes. How could he not understand?

He faces me “Do not be a fool Tamara. Even in your own nest, pests do lurk” With what he said, my tears have completely fallen. “How could be so judgmental? Arthur is a good man. He promised to be a deserving man for me, that’s the reason for his hard work. That’s the reason why he wanted it hidden—he wanted you and everyone to know our love for each other when he is sure you will give your blessings for our marriage!” I sob.