Chapter Thirteen : Comfortable Silence

When Jungkook awoke, he was still being held, but it wasn't Seokjin-- it was Taehyung. Confused, he lay there, staring blankly at Taehyung's collarbone and wondering how he had slept through the trade. Did Seokjin call Taehyung? Was that why he was here?

Taehyung stirred, groaning, and opened his eyes. When they met Jungkook's, a sleepy smile stretched across his face, and he pulled Jungkook closer.

"Did you sleep better?"

Jungkook nodded, still stunned. His confusion increased when Taehyung cooed, bringing their foreheads together and rubbing his nose against his.

"I'm glad," Taehyung mumbled.

Jungkook shifted, starting to scoot closer.

"Oh, you want to get up?" Taehyung pulled his arm away, popping up on hands and knees. Jungkook swallowed. He must have looked incredibly disappointed because Taehyung turned red to the tips of his ears and laid down again, laughing.

"Sorry, sorry. More cuddles."

Jungkook curled into Taehyung's chest, smiling to himself and closing his eyes. Taehyung was warm. The blanket he pulled over them only added to the warmth, cradling Jungkook in comfort. Jungkook liked it there, in Taehyung's arms. If only he could stay there, hidden away, and never have to think about anything ever again...

If only.

"Taehyung-ah, you two need to head to social time in half an hour. Are you going to get dressed?"

Jungkook groaned. Taehyung chuckled.

"How long can I procrastinate that?"

"I'd say five minutes, but Jungkook needs to get dressed and retrieve his bag. Come on, get up!"

Taehyung sighed, shoving himself up, and Jungkook whined, reaching out after him. He didn't want to leave bed. It was so comfortable there. Taehyung just chuckled and pulled him up.

"Need help with anything?"

Jungkook shook his head, rubbing his face with both hands. Taehyung ran a hand through his hair, bringing their foreheads together with another gentle smile. "Well then, let's go, shall we?"

"Okay," Jungkook mumbled. Taehyung's proud smile was worth it.

***

Social Time was quieter than usual, with even Hoseok more subdued than normal. In fact, Hoseok sat next to Jungkook the whole time, passing him everything that was given to him as discreetly as possible and not even trying to engage in conversation. At first Jungkook didn't mind being given extra snacks, but when Hoseok attempted to pass him his pudding-- his favorite treat-- he frowned and passed it back.

Hoseok passed it to him again. Jungkook's frown deepened. He held onto it, watching Hoseok, then took a deep breath and passed it to him again.

Hoseok looked at it and gave a deep sigh, setting it on the floor and lying down by Jungkook. "No thank you," he said softly.

Jungkook swallowed, taking the pudding back and staring at it. He couldn't eat it. Hoseok deserved it, whether he wanted it or not. Maybe if he left it with Hoseok his nurse would make sure he ate it later.

Jungkook jumped as Hoseok's stomach growled. He shot Hoseok a worried look, but Hoseok gave him a half-smile and shook his head, closing his eyes. Jungkook looked up, searching for Taehyung. Taehyung sat with BamBam on the couch, speaking to him in a low, gentle voice while Yugyeom massaged BamBam's shoulders. Jungkook hesitated. Taehyung was busy. What if he bothered him by asking? Hoseok wasn't always hungry.

But he wasn't sure it was good to skip eating all of your snacks, especially when the nurses packed them. Those snacks weren't just something used to baby patients. They had specific things the patients needed more of, or flavors that helped them calm down. And the pudding was Hoseok's absolute favorite. Jungkook looked between his friend and his soulmate one more time, then took a deep breath and stood up, coming to stand by Taehyung.

Taehyung glanced up, then patted BamBam's shoulder, murmuring something else to him before turning to look at Jungkook. "What's up?" he asked.

"Hoseok..." Jungkook said softly, glancing back at his friend. Hoseok hadn't moved an inch since he left. Jungkook swallowed, then said, "He's giving me all his snacks."

Taehyung frowned for a moment before his mouth opened in an 'o' of understanding. He stood and walked over to Hoseok, crouching beside him and running his hands through his hair. Jungkook followed, staying at a respectful distance but watching curiously.

Taehyung touched people a lot. It didn't seem like a quirk or something he needed. He just did. His hands drifted from Hoseok's head to his shoulders, pressing quickly at his stomach before running back up to his neck as they talked. Jungkook looked down at his hands. He barely touched anyone. He did like cuddling with Taehyung, but he wouldn't have known to make that kind of contact. He looked back to Hoseok. Hoseok was relaxing, nodding as Taehyung spoke and responding in the same soft voice he had used to tell Jungkook he didn't want his pudding. Jungkook wandered to a corner and sat down, lying against the wall and stretching his legs out. He still had the pudding. He turned it over in his hands, considering it.

He didn't often eat pudding. In fact, almost none of his previous clients liked it. He tried to remember a time when he'd been forced to eat it with one of them, but nothing came to mind. He checked the flavor. Chocolate. He grimaced and lowered the container, glancing back at Hoseok. He would give it back to him before he left.

Maybe he could ask Minkyung for pudding in a different flavor next time.