Chapter Six : Bad People

"Hey, what brought this on?"

Jungkook gulped, shrugging as Minkyung looked him over. His uniform hung looser over his body than usual, but they hadn't weighed him in months, so Minkyung wasn't talking about that. Jungkook frowned, then looked down at himself. Oh. Minkyung was talking about Jungkook sitting by the door, in the rocking chair. Jungkook hadn't done that in almost a year. His hands shook as he pulled his knees up to his chest, making the chair rock back and forth, and took a deep breath.

"W-wanted to be good today," he said, cursing to himself when his voice still came out as soft and shaky as always.

Minkyung frowned. "Did I trigger your programming?" he asked, crouching in front of Jungkook. "You know you don't have to be like that here."

Jungkook shrugged.

"Is it because I got mad?" Minkyung sighed. "Look at me. Hey! Look me in the eyes."

Jungkook tucked his head down instead.

"Well, at least I know it's not too serious," Minkyung said. "Are you looking forward to social time? Jimin says everyone's pretty nice."

Jungkook nodded. He did like social time. He spent most of the time watching from beneath or behind some object, but everyone was kind. Hoseok sometimes slipped him some of his snack when Taehyung wasn't looking. In return, Jungkook would give him the rest of whatever he was supposed to be eating-- he wasn't that hungry, and watching Hoseok's face light up was better than tasting the snacks himself.

"You want to bring the bear again? Just in case?"

Jungkook nodded again.

"You've been doing a lot better lately," Minkyung said, moving to the bag. "Try not to slip into your programming, alright?"

Jungkook nodded, and this time he poked his head up, watching Minkyung move back and forth across the room, collecting his things.

"Think you could move to the bed for me? I'll change your bandages in a minute."

"Okay," Jungkook mumbled.

***

Taehyung was nice. Sometimes Jungkook felt bad for hiding around him, but Taehyung never forced him to come out.

"Hullo," Taehyung called, crouching and waving. Jungkook waved back, shyly, and Taehyung laughed-- a sweet, bubbly sound that put Jungkook at ease. He shifted under the table and pulled out his bear, sitting the toy in his lap.

"I forgot to ask!" Taehyung said. "What's his name?"

Jungkook furrowed his brow and glanced down at the bear, shrugging.

"Oh? You haven't picked yet?" Taehyung scooted closer, humming in thought. "How about... Bora? Bora-yah?"

Jungkook considered it, running his hand over the soft surface. "Bora," he mumbled, testing the feeling of the word on his tongue. "Okay. Bora."

The grin that split Taehyung's face startled Jungkook, but it felt nice. Kind of like his laugh. The light in his eyes was the same as the light in Hoseok's eyes over the snacks. It looked so pretty. Jungkook wished he could take a picture.

He froze at the thought. How long had it been since he'd held a camera?

"Ah! Jimin said you liked to be warned about new people," Taehyung said, shifting. "Yoongi-hyung is coming in today. Think you'll be okay?"

Jungkook nodded, surprised to feel a smile curling across his lips. It would be so different to see Yoongi and Jimin together, knowing they were soulmates. Besides, Yoongi wasn't a new person. He'd come into the room often, even when Jungkook was new.

Oh. When Jimin left, it would be just Jungkook and Namjoon, wouldn't it. Did Namjoon have a soulmate yet? What if he left? Would Jungkook have to be alone again? He didn't want that.

"Hey," Taehyung called softly. "You alright? What's wrong?"

"J-jimin hyung is-- Jimin hyung w-will leave soon..."

"Ahh," Taehyung hummed. "With Yoongi, huh?"

Jungkook squeezed the bear and nodded.

"Ahh... how about I make you a promise?" Taehyung extended his pinky, smiling softly. "I'll make sure Jimin comes to see you again, okay?"

Jungkook stared at Taehyung, then dropped his gaze to Taehyung's finger. Hesitantly, he extended his, and they locked them together.

"It's a promise," Taehyung said softly.

Jungkook felt his star vibrate against his arm, and he pulled his hand away, eyes widening for a moment before he remembered to play it cool. He resisted the sudden urge to crawl out from under the table and throw himself into Taehyung's arms. It was probably a mistake. A fluke. Minkyung said he was getting better, so maybe he just wanted to be hugged again. He wasn't ready.

Taehyung couldn't be his soulmate.

"Jungkook-ah," Taehyung called.

Jungkook hissed. He was crying. He buried his face in the bear and curled up, shivering as Taehyung ran a hand through his hair.

"There's no reason to hide," Taehyung said gently. "It's okay to cry. You'll miss him a lot, huh?"

Jungkook nodded.

"That's just fine," Taehyung said. "Don't be ashamed. Look at me?"

Jungkook gulped and shook his head. He couldn't look Taehyung in the eyes. Even his silence felt like a lie. Taehyung patted the top of his head and withdrew, and Jungkook slumped against the wall, letting out a quiet sob.

"How 'bout I get Jimin," Taehyung said. "Maybe you two can cuddle for a bit before Yoongi gets here? Or after-- I'm sure he wouldn't mind."

Jungkook nodded quickly, peeking up from his bear. Taehyung leapt to his feet, jogging out of the room and slamming the door behind him. Jungkook was alone.

He started to bawl.