Chapter One

Moses sat on the curb in front of his house, it was one of the most monumental days on the planet and he was just sitting with a juice box. There was a revolution in the city, one that would shake his whole planet. Sure he wanted to join in, but there was not much he could do while only being eight years old. So, he just sat there.

Moses would never go deep into his past with people, not when he gets older at least. It wasn't something he looked fondly upon, it wasn't anything too exciting either. So why bring it up? Of course, people would ask, but he would just laugh it off and find some way to switch the subject. Most of the time he wouldn't think about it. Except for that day. The day a gang called The Haze caused a city-wide riot against basically everything. So, forgive him for sometimes thinking about it.

Finally, Moses finished his juice box, squeezing every last drop out of it. Before he got up, he heard the sound of a car coming down his street. Standing up, he looked over to see that there were actually three cars coming. They all stopped in front of the house across from his. That was the Binkleys' house!

The Binkley's were a good couple, young too. They were in college and were new to the street. Well, everyone was new because of the mayor's relocation plan, but they were here from another planet. Moses didn't know why they decided to come to Tikal now of all times, everything has gone to crap. Still, they gave Moses money to go to the ice cream truck. They're basically the best people around his eyes.

The cars' windows then rolled down, guns were cocked, and they riddled the whole house with bullets. As this continued for a few minutes, Moses stared wide-eyed as he looked over to the car that was in the driveway. Yeah, they were definitely there. Well, they are either dead or alive. He was sure people had survived worse.

Finally, the bullets stopped. Then the house collapsed. Moses was pretty sure that they were dead. At the very least severely inconvenienced. A bunch of women piled out of the car, all dressed to the nines. They were all in black, with latex white gloves with a Japanese styled insignia on it. To Moses, it looked like the Yamada corporation's logo. Why the hell did a hit team have a name tag on them?

Almost in unison, they all turned to Moses. Why? They did nothing to hide, so why the hell do they care if he saw it? Moses ran through his different options, which were only two. Pretend to be dead or bribe them with the five dollars he had in his pocket. Sure they had some gum on them and one was a monopoly dollar, but they could at least buy them a small lemonade.

The tallest woman took out her pistol and marched to Moses. Quickly Moses pulled out his five dollars, causing her to stop in her tracks. There were three beats of silence, where she looked at him curiously. Slowly she took the money and pocketed it. Moses smiled nervously at her, glad he two his second option. Now he would only need a few years in therapy. She then shot Moses in the face.

That definitely inconvenienced him.

* * *

Moses was now 18, a senior in high school on the planet Tikal. Tikal, the planet with one city that covered most of its small size. When The New Mesoamerican Colonies found this planet, it was a host of plant life all around and practically no animals. Yet, upon closer inspection, the plants were in a constant fight with each other and even ate one another. This kept the ecosystem somewhat stable, but definitely not the best. But, as any fifth-grader would tell you, plant life meant that there was an atmosphere. Upon further testing, it was determined humans could live there.

So they sent scientists down to investigate and found what would be called Tikal's Veins. It was a plant on the planet that could be crushed and filtered into a liquid. It had medicinal properties and upon further inspection, it had all the medicinal properties. It was the closest thing to a cure numerous infections, diseases, STI's, etc. It also gave people boosts of metabolism, strength, and muscle growth. When the head scientist first showed this to the Emperor of the NMC, he implored him to make the Veins available to all of the colonies. Sadly, the Emperor didn't listen and distributed it to nobles of civilization.