Chapter 11: Reunions

As they descended from Drombb's apartment Jarek comm'd Madlyn and the crew with what they had discovered and agreed they'd meet back at Nyn's safe house the next day. By the time the three of them had finished in the office, several speeders had arrived from New Meen headed by Dah'Ra. What had started off as a free-for-all plunder of the settlement, had transformed into a full-blown recovery/salvage operation. Cargo trucks that were originally meant to transport unrefined ryll were now being loaded down with the plunder of the compound. Crates upon crates of supplies were being stacked. Boxes of alcohol, food rations, stimulants, med-packs, power cells, clothing, and even furniture.

Another truck was being filled with racks of weapons looted from the corpses and a small armory in the apartment building along with containers of charges. Understandably the crowd of workers gave the vehicle a wide birth.

Jarek and the others exited the apartment just as the newly freed Twi'leks were boarding the last pair of cargo trucks, all under the warm gaze of Dah'Ra. As the crew approached the former slaves yelled out words of thanks and gratitude. They also referred to the Mandalorian as 'mira'.

As the loaded trucks and speeders started pulling up Jarek looked at Dah'Ra and asked, "What does that word, mira, mean?"

Dah'Ra smiled and patted him on the shoulder. "Mira means brother." Jarek felt his face heat up at the declaration. Once more he was grateful for the anonymity the helmet provided.

Just as the night blossomed into day the crew loaded up the last speeder with Dah'Ra and followed the convoy back to New Meen.

The joy and celebration they'd received from bringing B'ura B'on home was nothing compared to the party that erupted into life when they returned. Cheers and praise shook the day and fists pumped the air. In and around the community center Twi'leks sang and danced to live music. Jarek felt his heart shift when he witnessed the freed slaves being reunited with their loved ones.

As he watched a couple embrace with tear-filled eyes, Jarek felt a part of himself swell with pride in what they'd accomplished. At the same time, he felt a pang of yearning and jealousy for what he couldn't have. Jarek was so enraptured by the emotion he barely noticed Era approach until she shoved a drink into his hand.

"We did really well today," she said taking a sip of her own drink.

Having already removed his helmet Jarek looked down at her and crooked an eyebrow. "You think so?" he asked with a coy smile.

She didn't seem to pick up on his sarcasm. Like him, Era seemed captivated by the level of emotion swelling within the crowd. "Look at them," she indicated the reveling Twi'leks, "We helped make that happen."

"It's amazing what a few well-placed blaster bolts will accomplish," Gare commented. He sat on a nearby crate, arms crossed over his chest. Despite his expressionless mass, the Gank looked uncharacteristically pleased with himself.

Ignoring him with a roll of her eyes Era looked up at Jarek. "That thing you said in Drombb's cantina?" she questioned, "What was it?"

"It's a poem," he gave her a playful expression, "Yes I know a poem. Try not to faint." Era giggled and mimed smacking him behind the head. Jarek smiled as he continued to explain, "It's an excerpt from the ninth chapter of the Dha Werda Verda epic."

"Rage of the Shadow Warrior," she translated, "I remember reading it..." she raised her eyebrows and blew out a disorientated breath, "A while ago."

"It's also a song," Jarek chuckled at her curious expression, "Maybe you'll hear it someday."

Era made an exaggerated motion of waiting-with-baited-breath causing them both to laugh. After they caught their breath, they went back to sharing the view of reunited families celebrating. "Do you think we'll ever have that?" Jarek looked back at her and chuckled softly. Realizing how her words sounded Era blushed and sputtered to correct herself, "I-I mean...d-do you think we'll," she gestured between the three of them, "each of us, get the opportunity to live a normal life?"