Damage

Trigger Warning: slurs and hate speech

"He wasn't looking where he was going. That's what caused the accident. Edward Kaspbrak received the most damage, followed by Richard. The people in the other vehicle were fine, not a scratch on them."

I lay there, in that stupid fucking hospital bed, watching the doctor explain the situation to my mother. She doesn't even react. She just nods as he speaks. And then she walks over to me. "When you're out of here, come home. Try to be more careful next time." And you know, that's all she says before she leaves. That stupid fucking bitch. I'm in pain, yes. I have what the doctors like to call a minor concussion, but it's why I feel like I'm spinning and it's why things hurt a lot. They haven't let me see Eddie yet. I'm dying to see him. I love him, and he's hurt because of my foolishness.

"Hey doc!" I call. The doctor turns and smiles at me.

"Yes, Richard?"

"Call me dick, Eddie loves me. Anyways, my lovely boyfriend, where is he?" I ask nervously.

"He's in another room. He's broken his arm and he's quite banged up. His mother is in there. And if you're Richard, I'd be worried. She's said a lot of things..." he sighs and steps closer. "Why weren't you looking at the road? Were you drunk?"

It takes all my self control not to respond "not anymore!". I don't though. I just smile a little as I watch him.

"I was admiring his beauty, that's all. I didn't do anything crazy. And I wasn't drunk. Why? Are you trying to become a police officer too? Is the medical life not suiting you? I'm sure Eds knows more about the human body than you do. He'll never shut up about it."

"Sounds like you really know him," the doctor says, but from his voice I can tell he's very annoyed. I'm very good at annoying people, which is very good for me.

"Can I see him?" I ask softly. It's more gentle, because I need this guy to understand. Eddie isn't some little crush of mine or whatever.

The doctor nods. He helps me out of the bed. Because of the concussion, I'm a little dizzy at first. But he lets me hold onto him instead of falling to the floor and looking like an idiot. We leave the room I'm being treated in, and head down the hall a few doors until we enter another room. Mrs. Kaspbrak is seated next to Eddie. His arm is in a cast and his face is covered in little cuts from the broken glass of the windshield. It breaks my heart. But he's still beautiful.

"Hey Eddie," I mumble and he looks up. He immediately smiles a little and watches me.

"I love you!" He chimes happily.

But his mother is far from happy about the situation. She looks over at him. "Never be happy with someone for putting you in this kind of scenario!" She says sharply and then looks at me. "You've ruined this sweet, innocent boy's life. You've corrupted him into your sick ways and now he's here, damaged, thinking he's in love with you. What do you have to say for yourself?"

I'm going to speak up. Really, I am. But then Eddie does it for me. "Shut up, mommy!" He yells. "I do love him!"

"So long as I am your mother, you do not!" She snaps back and rubs her eyes. "He's a queer. He's disgusting. A little faggot who thinks he can go around and mess with your mind. I won't have it. As far as I'm concerned, we don't have a single reason not to move across the country."

I stand there. Maybe this is it. Maybe this is what I had been so afraid of. I fell in love. I got comfortable being who I am. And what happens? The one I love ends up damaged in the hospital.

"Mama, let me talk to him alone." Eddie asks her and I'm surprised she even agrees. But after some consideration she leaves the room. And then it is just me and him.

I sit down beside him and look at him. "I'm so sorry. I fucked it all up. I did. Because I'm an idiot and I fuck everything up. I shouldn't have kissed you. I shouldn't have admitted to it all. I should've kept myself hidden. That way none of this would have to happen. And everything would be okay."

He frowns a little. "Richie, shut up, you're being a dumbass. The only problem we have is my mom, and that's it! If we can get her to accept that I'm not her cookie cutter son, then things will be perfect."

I smirk a little. "I'm a dumbass?"

"Yes, you are," he giggles. "Now kiss me, just be gentle or my mom will kill you." I lean closer and place the most delicate kiss to his lips. After a few moments his mother returns to the room.

"Eddie dear, tell him to leave. Now," she instructs. Maybe she realises he has power here.

"Go away...mama," he says softly. "Richie isn't bad. He's made me so happy. My grades and my health have improved since I've known him. But you wouldn't know that, would you? Because mental health could never compare to the physical pain you like to put me through. How about I tell the doctors about all the medications you used to force down my throat? What about when you forced me to be sick? Mama, I'm certain. You can't control me anymore."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

We return home that night. Stan helps drive. My mother isn't there when we actually arrive, and I don't know why I'm surprised that that. She's never around and I know that. I help Eddie inside. He's healing up good except for the broken arm, which obviously needs to mend. He's quiet after everything he said to shut his mother down, and I can understand where he's coming from. I'm just so proud of him for everything he did.

"Can you just put something on?" He asked sweetly. After the shouting match, his mother left him and I alone. I don't know what's going to happen. I sit beside him and let him scroll through the channels. I can't pick. The television makes my head hurt. I snuggle close to him and close my eyes. At least things are okay.