A Long Walk, A Short Path

"I expect you can cross the same way you did the first time." The witch said as she pulled out a small toy doll and set it on the ground. Both, Felix and I, watch as she waved her hand over the doll, causing it to turn into a small cloud. Having finished her magic, the witch stepped onto the cloud and took a seat.

"Wait, can you take us?" I cried out as the witch carrying cloud rose from the ground.

"No." She replied bluntly. Without another delay, the cloud began transporting her across the gap. It didn't move fast, but it was, no doubt, quicker than Felix or I would be able to go.

I gave Felix a disparaging look, "Maybe if I had let up on the questions, we could be floating across on a cloud right now."

Felix smiled and chuckled, "Something tells me, we would have to walk this bridge back no matter what. She doesn't seem like the kind of person to help someone, not if it's not going to help her."

I nodded. She was jaded and there didn't seem to be any reproach. All I could do is hope, hope that she can return home and become a better person than she is now.

The two of us took a deep breath as we stood on the threshold of the bridge. I even took extra caution in checking the horizon for storm clouds. The last thing I wanted, was to get caught up in another flash storm while fumbling across the shaky bridge.

"Here it goes, round two." I said as I grabbed the rope leads as tightly as I could. I already could feel the sweat in the palms of my hands. Heights were always a fear of mine, and the last trip across this bridge didn't do my fear any favors.

I could feel Felix's hand on my shoulder, "You can do it. You already have. I'll be right behind you though, should you need me." His voice was assuring. It was good to know he was there if I needed him.

"Let's just get this over with." I let out a breathy sigh and inched forward onto the shaky bridge, my stomach already in knots. Heights was just something that I was never going to get better with, even without the help of the last time across this fickle bridge.

Unlike last time, there was only a slight breeze in the air and no storm clouds on the horizon. It was slow going once I started across the bridge, but the trek was significantly less stressful than the last time. One step at a time, one foot in front of the other, we slowly made our way across the bridge and toward the other side. As we got closer, I could make out the witch, sitting atop her magical cloud, waiting for us. She watched us closely, as if amused that we had to endure the bridge while she sat comfortably on the other side.

My hands were beginning to burn from dragging them across the rope, but that wasn't going to stop me from gripping for dear life. Even without the storm, the bridge still swayed, and the pit of my stomach was ice cold to the point of nausea. At least with the storm, everything happened so fast that I didn't have time to think so much about being so high. I was beginning to feel envious of Lute, who was blindly hiding during this endeavor. What I wouldn't give to just hide away while someone else carried me across.

"Nearly there!" Felix shouted from behind. I was steadfast in my resolve to not look down or behind me, so I just let out an odd sound to reassure him I had heard. Words were just not forthcoming at the moment, "You're doing great." He added, as if he could feel the discomfort and fear from me.

"At this pace, what truly was the rush?" The witch hissed loudly across the bridge. She was now off her cloud, pacing around impatiently.

At least by hearing her, I knew I wasn't too far away. I was keeping my head high and away from the debilitating view below.

"See, that wasn't so hard." The witch stated flatly.

I hadn't even realized I had made it across the entire bridge. I knew I was close, but as I looked down, one foot was already on solid ground. The chill in the pit of my stomach thawed almost instantly, and the firmness in my legs returned. I released my hands from the ropes and propelled myself forward enthusiastically.

I turned around to see Felix crossing the threshold right behind me, "Look at that, we did it!" I shouted as I threw myself upon him, hugging tightly.

I could tell that he didn't know exactly what to do about me embracing him so suddenly. His arms were stuck out in shock and his entire body was as stiff as a board. Feeling his awkwardness and discomfort, I released him and instead greeted him it's the widest of grins. He was clearly out of sorts, his face full of surprise and bright red.

"Yea. No. Yea." Shaking his head in confusion, "We definitely did. We are almost back to the wizard too. You really did it."

The way he said we were almost back to the wizard, I could feel him getting uncomfortable about our plan, much less staying behind in this world he knew so little of. I smiled anyways, as I nudged his shoulder with mine, "Things will work out. This world is magical and wonderful in so many ways-".

"It's truly not." The witch interrupted. I promptly shot her a glare, but said nothing to her.

"Look around you. This world is just not possible back home, and you get to explore it. There's a world of magic," I repeated to this to him. In a lot of ways, I was certain I should be jealous, but I know I have to go home to my family, "this place can be wonderful. You can have such a wonderful life here."

Felix drew closer and gave me a hug. His arms wrapped around me tightly, and his head rested squarely on my shoulder, "Thank you. I needed that."

"And you know what," I added softly, "People have been coming and going for such a long time. I wont stop until I find another way back, I'll be here again before you know it."

The witch was clearly over the sentimental moment, "Can we please get this over with. Unlike the two of you, I have been waiting decades to return home, please allow me the impatience." She snarled as she took off down the path towards the tower.

Felix released me, and I him, "Let's go." He said quietly. I nodded and strode down the path behind the witch.