What He Saw (Death Note Fan Fiction)

**Note: this is L's reaction to what happens in my first story, "What He Was Looking For". The story below can be read on it's own, but reading the other one might add a bit more context.**

L woke up and headed straight for the monitors. A hot cup of coffee and a box of donuts was already set out for him. L gave a small smile: good old Watari.

He crouched on a chair in front of the monitors and queued up the footage from the previous night, as was the routine every morning. As he waited for the footage to reach its starting point, L pulled his coffee closer to him and began dropping in the sugar cubes that Watari had piled up on the saucer beside his coffee cup.

Last night's tape reached the beginning and began playing automatically. L glanced up. He saw Aizawa and Matsuda looking over files from the Kira investigation. They had been tasked with the late night shift.

L turned back to his coffee, listening to the footage, but concentrating on counting how many sugar cubes he had added to his coffee so far.

"I don't think Ryuzaki likes me very much," Matsuda's voice came from the footage.

L looked up at the mention of his alias.

"What makes you say that?" Aizawa asked him. He took a seat on the couch and began going over the reports of the Kira investigation.

"He never gives me anything important to do," Matsuda said. "Aside from being Misa-Misa's manager."

"Stop with that Misa-Misa crap," Aizawa snapped.

"I know he thinks I'm an idiot," Matsuda continued. He sat down beside Aizawa and picked up some of the reports himself. For some reason, Aizawa seemed to turn a bit red at this point, but L could not say why. He thought maybe Matsuda was getting on Aizawa's nerves again.

"You're not an idiot," Aizawa said, sounding a bit distracted. "You're a smart man who makes stupid decisions. A lot of stupid decisions. Like when you snuck into the Yotsuba group's building."

That was true enough as far as L could see. Matsuda did tend to screw up and it was also true that this was why he never gave Matsuda any important assignments pertaining to the Kira case. L may have called Matsuda an idiot on a couple of occasions, but it was more like he was inexperienced, a little naive, and too eager to prove himself. But going to the Yotsuba group on his own accord, that was an idiotic move.

"I need to do something to prove myself to him," Matsuda said.

"No!" Aizawa said loudly and L saw Matsuda jump.

"Please, don't," L said out loud, watching the tape and hoping Aizawa would stop Matsuda from doing anymore unauthorized investigations.

"What I mean is, you were trying to prove yourself when you snuck into the Yotsuba group's meeting. And you're lucky you didn't get killed when that happened," Aizawa explained to him.

L continued to listen and turned back to his coffee. He had lost count. How much had he put in? Six cubes? Maybe it was seven. Either way, it was not enough yet. L kept dropping more sugar into his coffee.

"I know what I can do," Matsuda said, and L groaned wondering what stupid move Matsuda was planning next. "I'll buy him a cake."

Cake? L's head snapped right back up to the monitor. Aizawa said something to Matsuda, but L barely heard this. He wanted to hear more about this cake.

"Ryuzaki loves cake. Especially strawberry," Matsuda said. "I'll buy him a gourmet strawberry cake from the best bakery around."

L approved of this operation. He even found himself licking his lips in anticipation of such a fine cake.