Chapter Twenty-One.

Gintoki wakes up to a familiar warmth he'd begun to miss lying in his arms. His eyes slowly open and he looks at the sleeping figure beside him, eyes still swollen but no less beautiful to him than before. 

His heart skips a beat as he gazes at (Name)'s sleeping face, realising the previous night really wasn't a dream. He simply stares at her in silence, taking in all the features he'd only dreamt about for the past three weeks, swallowing roughly as tears threaten to come to his eyes and he shakes them away. 

The movement wakes (Name), whose eyes slowly flutter open and gaze into his eyes. She doesn't smile, doesn't move; she just lies there, her eyes scanning him. And then she leans forward and places a gentle kiss on his lips for a split second, her arms wrapping around him and his tightening around her. 

"I missed this so much," he hears her whisper, his voice threatening to break if he responds so his arms squeezing her gently instead. She buries her head in his neck, the faint scent of his body wash mixed with his cologne making her relax. 

"Can we just... stay like this?" Gintoki finally whispers, feeling her nod against him. The sun's rays begin to shine into the bedroom yet neither Gintoki nor (Name) care, both too caught up in their emotions to even notice. 

They slowly fall asleep, tightly wrapped in each other's arms. 

Hours later, Otose quietly enters the rental home, calling Gintoki's name. With a frustrated sigh she searches the house, quietly sliding his bedroom door open and feeling her heart soften at the sight before her. 

A small smile on her lips, Otose slides the door shut again and picks up the bag of groceries, leaving the rental home and heading back to the Snack House.