2: Them

Akechi backed away slowly. The surprise on his face turned to dissapointment and anger. As soon as I saw his expression, I knew he wouldn't be staying.

"I can't. Not yet."

He turned away abruptly and walked out of LeBlanc, heading into the morning rain. I wanted to call out after him to stop him, but I knew it was futile..

-------------

Closing my eyes, I inhaled a deep breath, willing myself to forget the memories of this morning. Of watching Akechi get upset and leave.

I turned onto my side on my bed and looked across the room to see Morgana sleeping comfortably on the couch. He was curled in a ball, and was purring softly.

Despite how late it was, I couldn't sleep. Seeing my friend struggling bugged me; I knew I'd toss and turn for another few hours before I could finally get some rest. So, with not many other options, I stood up and crossed the room, quietly making my way downstairs. In minutes I had some hot water boiling, and had gotten out a cup to pour some tea. Maybe the warmth would soothe my busy mind.

Within 10 minutes I took my seat at the bar and began sipping my drink. I glanced at the clock. It was well past midnight.

Slowly the tea began to work. I started to feel tired. Tomorrow, or today really, was November 30th, meaning December was starting. I'd have to look into gifts for my friends..

What would I get Ryuji? Maybe a new fake pistol? Haha, or maybe I could get Kawakami-san to pay him a maid visit and clean his room. That would totally freak him out..

tap tap

I snickered lightly to myself and took another sip of my tea. I then placed the cup down and yawned softly. I was about ready to head to bed.

tap t--tap

That's when I noticed tapping. I looked around. The source was the window by the door of the cafe. I blinked and looked over, but couldn't see anyone due to how dark it was outside. I shifted and stood up.

tap tap tap tap

There was no mistaking it. Someone was at the door.

Suspiciously, I grabbed the first and only item I could find as a weapon: a fork. I made my way, slowly and quietly to the door. Once I got to it, I put my ear to it.

There was a man on the other side, mumbling. I looked down at the locked door handle and saw it shaking with force. He was trying to pick the lock and get in.

My heart started to pound in my chest. I swallowed and slowly put my shoulder against the door and held onto the handle tightly, attempting to thwart the mans mission of getting in. I rose my right hand which held the fork. If he forced his way in, I would use self defence..

But as soon as I held onto the handle, the intruder realised. Through the dim window beside the door I saw him back up and bolt down the alleyway. To my surprise, a second figure followed after him.

Instantly I threw open the door. On the ground were lock picks and various tools like screw drivers and pins. I could also see scratches on the wood door and pieces of wood having been broken off. They actually had almost gotten in..

I glanced down the alley and, without another thought, bolted after them. By now all I could hear was running in the distance, but as I turned the corner to look down the street, I was met with nothing. I had lost them.

I bit my lip. Were they burglars? My first thought was to go back and call the police. I'd have to let Sojiro know too..

"Don't move."