Chapter 8

"W-wedding? What?" I sputtered as soon as I found my voice.

Hannah smiled confidently as she replied, "What? You think I've been joking all these years? I am a wedding planner after all, can't have anyone else organising that big day!"

Raising my palm up in the hair, "Wait a minute, hold up everyone! We don't know why Zayn was upset, for all we know it was because he felt that our friendship was in jeopardy."

"Do you see what I have to deal with Aunty H?" Jessica rolled her eyes all the way to the back of her head.

For dramatic effect, I watched as my best friend formed the fingers of her right hand into a gun. Jessica brough her hand to her temple and pretended to shoot herself in the head.

Hannah let out a long, exaggerated sigh, seeming to feel Jessica's pain. My godmother silently stood there for a moment, her blue eyes trailing over my face. They reminded me a bit of Zayn's, except his eyes were much more intense.

When she began speaking, I shook my head to focus on what she was saying.

"You know Kaelyn, I know that Zayn can be a muppet, he takes after his father in that way. But I never tagged you for being daft as well, my goodness!" Hannah ran a hand through her blonde hair as she resumed stirring the contents in her bowl, this time with more vigour.

Zara looked over at me and shook her head as she made a tsk sound while wagging her left index finger.

Great! I even had a twelve-year-old feeling sorry for me.

"Listen sweetie, I promised your parents and my husband that I'd stay out of you young folks' business, but I will tell you one thing," Hannah tilted her head towards the window, "you see little miss Becky out there, she will not hesitate to try and make Zayn hers. Tariq is doing some deal with her father and he casually asked what Zayn would be up to for the summer and well you know how my husband is..." Hannah chuckled softly as she paused for a moment to add some sugar to the bowl.

Everyone remained quiet as we waited for her to continue speaking.

"Naturally, Tariq then extended an invitation for her to go on the yacht with you all. I'm pretty sure Becky asked her father to enquire about it, she seems cunning like that. So, if you do like him as much as I think you do, I say go for it before it's too late," her last words sounded more like a warning than advice.

Hearing that Zayn had not invited Becky made me feel a lot better, but before I could get a chance to dwell on the thought, my best friend's loud voice cut me off.

"Thank you, Aunty H, preach!" Jessica pipped in as she agreed enthusiastically.

"Yea Kaelyn, you know that you're the only girl that I'd want to see with my brother. So go get you that penisssssss!" Zara added in, mocking a well-known saying of her mother.

"Zara Amani Maalouf! There will be no talking of penises from you, you're too young for that," Hannah said sternly.

"That's fine mum, I like girls anyway," the young girl shrugged and giggled as she skipped out of the kitchen.

It took a moment for Hannah to realise what her daughter had said before she quickly dropped the bowl on the kitchen counter and ran behind her daughter.

"Excuse me girls! Zara! Wait, come back here! You can't just say something like that and run off!" she yelled; her blue eyes wide.

I could not help but laugh. Zayn, Kamdyn and I knew that Zara liked girls. She had confided in us last year when we teased her about a boy that liked her.

The guys supported her, but stated that maybe she was too young to know for sure and to give it some time. I on the other hand, gave her a knowing smile as we had promised to keep her confession a secret.