Chapter 41

Fatou, the woman that Gabriel had met on the road, was pleased when the guards announced a truck would be taking them to a refugee camp near Ta-iri. "North," she crowed. "Nearer the border. They'll take us practically there."

"Don't be so optimistic," Another woman told her. "They've more guards, less chance to escape."

"How do you know?" A man asked.

The woman shrugged. "Been in the news hasn't it."

They set to squabbling about the news. Some general that Gabriel had never heard of had come north with a large force of men to help secure the border.

"Thought he was against the closure of the border," Fatou said.

The woman shrugged that idea off. "Still works for Burundi, doesn't he?"

The truck was backed around the side of the hotel and there were dozens of guards. Gabriel had little choice but to accept that there would be no chance of escape right now, and hopefully, Fatou was right, they would be taken closer to the border.

He scrambled up the back of the truck and into the bed, not wanting one of the women to hoist him up like a baby. It resulted in a scuffed knee, but his pride was worth it, he thought as he found a seat towards the front of the truck. The back of the truck was full to the point of being crowded by the refugees, the air was hot and dry but the trip was thankfully short.

The refugee camp at Ta-iri was massive. It was ringed in barb wire and guard towers and Gabriel despaired escaping again. Inside the number of people was astounding, it was easily more crowded than the most crowded slum in Freetown.

There were canvas tents in rows. A huge barracks were on one side with a medical center and kitchen. A second barrack, for the guards, was located outside the barbed wire.

As they were let off the truck, they were greeted by armed guards and men with red cross or red crescent patches on their arms, foreign aid workers. "Thank Allah," Fatou muttered at the sight of them. "The men behave better when foreign aid workers are around to see what they do," she said to Gabriel's look. "We get fed more often, treated better."

She took his hand and together they headed for the camp.

"Not the boy," one of the guards shouted, coming over to them. "We're taking him."

Fatou gave him a concerned look. Gabriel sighed. There was no point in getting her involved. He let her hand go and went to the soldier's side.

"What are you going to do with him?" Fatou demanded. "He's just a boy."

"I ain't doing nothing with you," the guard insisted. "Captain Sesay wants him."

"For what?" Fatou went on, not willing to be parted.

"It will be okay," Gabriel said suddenly. "Don't worry."

She gave him a hard look. He met her gaze, even though it was hard. He wanted to run. He was scared. But he didn't want her hurt. Better to face this alone. Finally, she sighed and turned away.

The guard led him to a low, hastily erected bunker. The corporeal at the gate squinted at Gabriel. "What does Captain Ishmael want with this one? He's barely a babe."

"Am not," Gabriel shot back.

The men laughed. "Not Ishmael. The new guy, Sesay. This boy had some unusual stuff with him when he was caught."

That got them ushered inside. He was led to a room that was bare except for a small desk and two chairs. He was told to sit in one of the chairs and the guard stepped out. Gabriel fought to master his fear.

Captain Sesay was a thin dark man, younger than Gabriel would have expected. He sat Gabriel's belt with his Consortium tech and supplies on the desk and then pulled up a seat across from him. He watched him closely with dark eyes, but his expression was mild. "Care to explain where you got these?"

Gabriel didn't answer.

"Why are you trying to get to the border?"

Gabriel stared at the floor.

"Who is helping you? I know you didn't just come by this stuff."

Gabriel shook his head. He wouldn't give up Devaki. Never.

"You think I don't know what smuggler is? But why is a boy your age involved? What have they promised you?"

"They're starving," Gabriel said.

"Who? Who is starving?"

"All of them," he shouted suddenly. "Grandma, Uncle Issa, my cousin. All the people in Freetown." He shut his mouth, fearing he'd said too much already.

They sat in silence for what felt like a long time. "I'm not your enemy," the captain said. Gabriel risked looking up at him.

The captain leaned over, "You've met someone from inside the consortium. I don't know how, but it's true."

Gabriel's eyes went wide as he noted the tiny gray dots in the corner of the Captain's eyes. Dots like Devaki had. Or Grandma had now. Sign of augmented eyes. He thought of the refugees on the truck talking about how the general had opposed shutting the borders, the guard had described Captain Sesay as "the new guy."

"It's food. Supplies for the poor in the ghetto. No weapons. I swear it." He said.

Captain Sesay watched him for some time. "Are you sure? They could be lying to you."

"They aren't," Gabriel said. "I set it all up, they didn't. And I wouldn't use violence. It wouldn't be right. I just want to help. So nobody starves."

"And I'm supposed to just trust you."

They stared at each other for a long time. Captain Sesay broke the staring match first. "I guess the blade cuts both ways, doesn't it? You've no more reason to trust me. Someone's got to take the first step. Fine." He rose and went to the door. He held a short conversation.

He took the belt and then gestured Gabriel to follow him. They left the barracks out the back door, away from the camp. He was ushered into a waiting jeep, Captain Sesay climbing in at his side.

The driver looked back once but it was enough for Gabriel to notice that he too had a tiny speck in the corner of one eye. There were other differences, too, things so minor that he wouldn't have noticed them. The man's uniform was clean and new, another "new guy." There was the tiniest hint of an unfamiliar accent when he asked for directions.

They drove out across the country, ignoring the road. They drove for some time in silence. They finally stopped in a small wooded area. It was then that Captain Sesay spoke again. "You will return to this site with your drop. I will set markers so I know when you've arrived. We will see this package, see that it contains only humanitarian aid. Then we will discuss getting you back to Freetown safely. But I warn you, if you don't return with your drop, I will assume the worst. And our next meeting won't be so easy."

He handed Gabriel the belt and gestured him out of the jeep. The jeep drove away, Gabriel wondered just how many spies the Consortium had in Sierre Leone already and what he should do about it.