Chapter 10

Jade

When I had entered the holding room the other bodyguards are in shock, Dalzollene had tried to stab the guy with a sword but it broke in half, unable to pierce the thief's body.

Most of them had been unaware of my arrival except probably Kurapika and Melody who had given me a quick glance.

The spider had been paralyzed and strapped in a metal table, completely harmless. However, he had shown significant strenth. A syringe needle would not pierce through his iron-like skin so we had to use gas to put him in such state.

He had shown such calmness, like he was so sure we weren't be able to hurt him in any way. He seemed confident enough to know that we posed no harm against him.

Are we that weak?

Is that how he have been looking at us? Insignificant human beings that were never worthy of his concern?

That strong aura, and ridiculously iron-like body had been honed through surviving and participating countless of battles. Firm, solid, strong and concrete; that's how we could describe the strength of his body and addutionally, his mental fortitude.

His eyes glanced to Squala, "Let's make a deal." He started.

"I'll spare your lives so let me up now." I gasped, shocked with his proposal, and to the way he had delivered such condition. It was very calm and imperative. Clearly shoving to our faces that he still had the upperhand even when he was paralyzed, he was never vulnerable.

"W-What is he saying? Is he insane?" Squala exclaimed the silent Melody beside him. His voice was both disbieliving and scared, I could very much see the undertones of fear within his features. And I could smell the wariness of everyone and the danger that the spider had proposed.

"He's serious, I think." Melody broke the words as if even she had troubles believing it.

"What? Are you crazy?"

"He should be the one begging for his life." Basho muttered that made the spider to turn his attention to him.

"Let me make something clear." He said. "We're after the auction merchandise that was stored underground. If you guys don't know where it is I have no business with you."

"What?" Basho exclaimed, he seemed to have more to say but Melody stopped him.

"Wait a moment." And then she turned to the captured spider, "You didn't steal the merchandise?" She asked.

"The safe was empty when we arrived. The Shadow Beasts had already taken it all. I guess they didn't bother telling grunts like you."

"I don't think he's lying." Melody said, a frown etched her forehead, whether it was of doubt or disbelief, I wasn't sure.

"Then he's serious?" Squala muttered, baffled. "When he offered to make a deal he wasn't bluffing?"

"Everyone makes mistakes, we haven't stolen anything yet. So take this off and pretend you didn't see anything. If you do that, you get to live." He stated calmly however malicious with a wicked grin, obviously aware of the palpable fear that covered the room, it was thick, even I could almost taste it.