Chapter 18

Kurapika

I expected this.

The hurt reflected through her eyes, that's why I don't want to be the one to break the news. I've seen her interaction at the guards, to Dalzollene whom I now know was like a father to her. But the guilt...the guilt on her brown eyes, I cannot fathom, why?

What was she guilty about? The deaths were not her fault.

I left her room before I could witness her breakdown and I knew she wouldn't want pity. She wouldn't want to be seen being vulnerable and weak.

I know how that works, I know how it felt, and I respect that.

I went back to the old room where we were checked in and waited in silence, I knew for a fact, somehow that brute would come back to avenge his pride. I knew I had to start with him.

It was already dusk when I felt his presence enter the building and to the corridor lieading to this room. When the door swung open I expected him, he was walking casually towards me and I waited with such calm. I somehow surprised myself that I was able to suppress my growing anger.

Later.

"Alone?" He asked stopping a few feet in front of me. "I'm impressed. Where do you want to die? I'll humor any requests."

My brows furrowed, "I prefer a deserted wasteland with no one nearby. Since I'll have you screaming at the top of your lungs."

He expressed his annoyance from my words with a frown, and I just stared blankly at him.

***

He did took my request, it was already dark and we did found ourselves in a deserted place, nothing but rocks and cliff edges, a valley (somewhat) at the edge of Yorknew.

He had made me wait and I agreed. The wind blew somewhat harshly and yet solemn, my face fell. Am I doing the right thing?

I sighed and found myself gazing up the night sky, there are little to no stars tonight, and the moon was blood red. I chuckled, bitterly. Oh, the irony of this.

I felt his presence walkng towards me, cutting me from my trance and he stopped a few meters a smug smirk plastered on his face.

"Sorry about the wait." He said, before downing the beer can he was holding.

My chain covered fist clenched at the sight of his nonchalance, but my face remained blank.

"I've got a question for you." He said, cleching his own fist in front of him and squeezing the tin can. "Who are you?" He asked before throwing the battered and broken tin can, landing a meter in front of me.

"You're no ordinary Nen user." He added. "I can sense a special intent behind your Nen."

He was right, a special and specific intent. A condition to make my Nen stronger suited only for vengeance. Only for them, for him, the spider. The Phantom Troupe.

"Before I can answer your question, I need you to tell me something." I took off my traditional Kurta robes, not wanting to stain on destroy them. "Do you remember the people you've killed?" I asked, my voice and my emotions controlled.