Chapter 9

I got up before the sunrise that morning. I was exhausted. I couldnt sleep with all the thoughts running through my head. My precious cousin Abby was gone. I had to get my mind off things. I walked out towards the farm field. I looked over towards the woods we ran out of yesterday, hoping a soldier would come out to get me. Hoping he would join me with Abby. The sun was beginning to peek over the trees. I began shoveling dirt to till our farm fields for the new crops.

        I began fiercely shovelilng. Taking all my anger and putting it into my work. Beads of sweat dropped from my forehead. I got to a point where some of the dirt was so dry it was nearly impossible to put the shovel through it. With all the force in my body, I hammered the shovel into the ground. Splitting the wood handle of the shovel right in half.

        "Gosh Dangit!!" I yelled in frustration.

I wiped the sweat out of my eyes. I looked towards the shed right near the woods. As a kid, I was terrified of this shed, there was only farming tools in it, but the way it sat in the woods looking gloomy and run down, I believed it was haunted. To this day, this shed gave me goosebumps. I had to get another shovel, though. The sun hadnt quite rose yet, so it was still slightly dark near the woods.

        I gulped. "Stop being silly, go grab the shovel and get back here." I mumbled quietly to myself.

I slowly walked to the shed. I looked around as if some monster was going to come and attack me. I walked up to the door and opened it. There was no lighting, and i was praying there was no bats or any other live animals living in it. I walked in, instantly smelling the musty air from inside. I seen the shovel on the side wall and quickly grabbed it. I was about to walk out, when I heard movement outside. Someone was by the shed!!

     I clenched to my shovel. The shed that I was desperately avoiding going in, I now wanted to stay in for safety. The footsteps grew closer...

       I peeked through the door, i didnt see anyone.

I slowly began walking out. Its just my imagination. Losing Abby is making me lose my mind. I began walking towards the field again. I heard leaves rustling behind me. I turned around. No one. Maybe it was a squirrel or chipmunk...

  I continued walking when suddenly a hand grabbed my shoulder.

I was about to swing my shovel, when i heard a familiar voice.

"Its me Maya!!!"

Aiden stood there shielding his face with his hands.

    "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!!!" I yelled at him as I dropped my shovel.

He began laughing.

"You are so easy to scare." he giggled.

    "I almost hit you with a shovel!"

"But you didnt"

A smirk spread across his face, I rolled my eyes.

"What are you doing up so early??" I asked

    "I couldnt sleep...I have a lot on my mind.." he said in a serious tone.

"Same, I had to keep busy."

       "Here, come inside with me...my mom made pancakes. They always make me feel better." he said to me.

"I dont wanna be a bother."

    "Oh stop, when have you ever been a bother to us?"

He grabbed my hand,

''Come on!" he said as he pulled me to his house.