FORTY FOUR

CHAPTER 44
A LITTLE HELP

RAENA didn't realize how bad she must've looked that morning until she entered the mess hall, where all eyes seemed to be on her

RAENA didn't realize how bad she must've looked that morning until she entered the mess hall, where all eyes seemed to be on her. Blue, green, black – even masks – turned in her direction once she appeared in the cafeteria line. Raena narrowed her eyes, grabbing a tray and ordering the slices of horned melon she had been craving earlier. She happily accepted her tray back, along with a few boiled Feelo eggs, and smiled towards one of the many droids that fulfilled her order. When she looked back to head over to where her friends sat, she noticed everyone turn around and continue their conversations.

She rolled her eyes, grinding her teeth together as she made her way towards Pacey and Gerardo's table in the back. It looked like they hadn't moved for hours, judging from the emptiness of their trays. Raena guessed they were keen on ignoring their duties for the day, until one of the generals set them straight.

Slamming her tray against the steel surface, Raena placed her hands on her hips. "Do I look bad today or something?" She took one last glance around the hall, sending a glare towards the pilot that just wouldn't stop looking at her. Swinging one leg around the bench, she plopped herself right next to Gerardo. "Everyone's staring at me. It's fucking annoying."

Gerardo shrugged, as if he didn't know, but his awkward expression said otherwise. He suddenly went stiff when he realized she was studying him.

"What?" She smirked, slicing through one of the Feelo eggs on her plate. "Are my dark circles that noticeable, Gerardo?"

"You are Grand Admiral, Raena," Pacey answered for his partner. "Shouldn't you be eating somewhere more ... high class? Like with the other higher-ups?"

Raena chuckled. "If you couldn't tell, I'm not a very high-class person."

Drumming his fingers across his jaw, Gerardo muttered, "It might also have something to do with the Supreme Leader practically treating you like royalty."

Raena brought her fork up to place a piece of egg in her mouth, but stopped midway once she thought over Gerardo's words. Hesitantly, she placed her fork back on her tray. "Excuse me?"

"Here we go ..." Pacey huffed.

"Do you two know something I don't?" She asked, swinging her head in both directions. "What aren't you telling me? Speak up!"

Pacey shook his head. "Ger, why did you have to –"

"I was going to have to tell her anyways!" Gerardo defended.

"Were you really –"

Raena waved her hands in front of them. "Will someone please tell me what is going on?"

Gerardo sighed heavily and turned towards his friend. Raena's brow shot up, waiting impatiently for a response. "So – um –" Gerardo looked away for a moment. "Ren might've told all the military behind your back to treat you the same way as him, like with Supreme Leader authority."