Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Ian's POV

        A shrill, sharp noise invaded my ears nearly at the same time the musty smell of something toxic and thick entered my nostrils.

        I whipped around to see Jenelle cover her ears and look at me in panick before she started to choke on the air around us. On impulse, I grabbed her arm and began sprinting towards where I knew my room was as if my life depended on it. As if her life depended on it. 

        I felt Jenelle stumble over her feet and heard her gasp violently for fresh air. I felt as though my heart was being pulled out of my chest. I pulled her up and held her close as I ran through the hallways. My lungs ached for fresh air and my ears rang for silence. My life longed for the absence of chaos.

        When I finally saw my dark wood door approaching us through the thick smoke in the air, felt as though I could almost finally rest. Almost. Safety was naer and I needed to keep her safe. I couldn't stand the thought of what had just happened; what we had just endured. I shoved the heavy door open and tossed Jenelle inside. How quckly I slammed that door surprised even myself. I looked behind me as I locked the door and saw Jenelle sprawled onto the floor, coughing.

        Her dark hair was splayed across her face as if she wore a very dark veil and her beautiful eyes were covered by her clenched eyelids. The rosiness in her cheeks was gone and replaced with a ghastly white porcelain surface. I watched as she tried to pick herself up off of the rug as i felt my mouth go dry. Now looking at her, really looking at her, she was the most beautiful individual on this entire planet. 

        I rushed over and helped her up as gingerly as I could.

        "Are you okay?" I asked in a breathless tone

        "I'm alright. What the fuck was that?" she coughed out as she grabbed onto me to steady herself

        'Please don't let go' I thought

        "They set off a bomb" I whispered. I could tell by the smell of the chemicals and the way the warning siren went off. It wasn't much of a warning to be honest.

        "Who's they?" she said quietly, her eyes pooling into mine.

        "I'm not even sure myself" I answered. Her small hands gripped my arms a little tighter and I heard her take a sharp intake of breath as small tears began to form in her eyes. She was scared. But so was I.

        I glanced down her features and began to take it all in. Her bright eyes, her tanned face, her soft features, and dark pink velvet lips captivated me. And in that moment, I became addicted.  I was undoubtably addicted to Jenelle Collins whether I wanted to be or not. And I would do anything to keep this woman safe.