6: entry seventeen

School had begun again and, as he had promised himself, Yoonoh wanted to finally reach out to his new classmates and no longer hide away in the background. He just had to be as he was with his scout friends - he kept mentally encouraging himself all the ride to his school - it would be that easy. But perhaps who he was wasn't as fun as Youngho had told him.

Unlike previous years where the days went by with him sitting in silence and being a mere on-looker of the friendly banter in class, his days began to go by with the other boys giving him strange looks, until soon all the girls were giggling about him and his peers' words were mocking.

Yoonoh couldn't grasp why things were turning out so different from his time at the scout centre. Over there he had made a respectable number of friends, definitely more than he had ever imagined, so why was he still isolated at his school if he was being who he was?

The situation progressively declined with the boys who'd steal his change of clothes during gym or shove him as he'd run past them. They'd stick their feet out to make him trip and call him words he didn't even know the meaning of most of when the teachers weren't present.

He thought the boys didn't like him, but maybe he could befriend the girls. The idea was a failure as they proceeded to laugh in his face or grimace whenever he asked to sit with them at lunch, telling him there was no place for fatties at their table.

Yoonoh didn't think he was too chubby. Perhaps his tummy was a bit rounder than the other boys' and his fingers did look short and meaty, but he didn't really consider it an issue until then.

As weeks passed, he fell back into his habit of hiding in the back of the class and avoiding the other students, and though their treatment of him didn't improve, he did his best to ignore them and focus on the fact that outside he had friends who cared.

His seventeenth entry was about his first month back at school, wondering if people hated him for his body or for who he was.

⟻⊗⟼

thanks for reading
please vote, comment and share