7: entry twenty-five

It was one of the warmer weekends in Autumn, the time they were scheduled to go camping for the two days. His school week had been a particularly rough one to get through, what with the remarks being thrown his way and the tests which were building up heavy on his shoulders.

If Youngho or Donghyuck had noticed anything off about his behaviour, they hadn't mentioned it and for that he was grateful, even if a part of him wished the former would be able to see through him better.

With his packed necessities on his back and his boots padding on the soft soil just outside the edge of the wood where they had planned on meeting, Yoonoh pushed all other thoughts to the distant crevices of his mind and adorned his mouth with a smile the instant he spotted his friends already chatting.

He picked up his speed to reach them, slightly out of breath when he arrived but puffing out a greeting nonetheless as Donghyuck threw an arm over his shoulder.

"This is going to be so fun!" the younger exclaimed at his arrival, squeezing Yoonoh close, "You'll stay with our team, right, senior Johnny?"

Stay with them? Were they splitting into smaller groups for the trip?

"If you want me to, sure."

Yoonoh's eyes darted from the ground to the taller who offered him a sweet smile, feeling his ears prickle a bit red as he saw how cool the other looked with his cap set so precisely on his floppy locks of hair.

Blinking away from him, realising he had to ask how the whole camping mechanism worked with the scouts, Yoonoh turned to a Donghyuck who had just fisted the air at their senior's agreement.

"But - So we're dividing into smaller groups?"

Donghyuck's lips pursed.

"Only during the day. At half-four we have to get to a clearing the seniors know for dinner and set-up our tents."

"Oh," Yoonoh spoke lowly, the thought of him being with his two friends for the whole day making him giddy, "then we can do whatever we want?"

Youngho took the opportunity to cut in, in case either of the younger two got any foolish ideas.

"Yes, but we can't wander too far and we have to avoid doing anything dangerous, understood?"

The shorter scouts stood slightly straighter, giving a clean nod of the head to show they would be on their best behaviour.

Once the groups were sent off by the adults, the trio chose a path and began their walk into the trees, Donghyuck running ahead and Yoonoh tempted to do the same, but reluctant to leave his senior's side.

It seemed however that the want to go wild was painted all over his features for Youngho let out a chuckle and gave him a light nudge with his elbow.

"You know, you can run around too if you'd like. I won't tell."

He gave an exaggerated playful wink but Yoonoh pouted in turn, giving a stubborn shake of his head.

"I want to stay with you, senior."

Youngho's expression took on a tint of hesitancy, but as fast as it came it went, and he brushed off the reply with a shrug.

"Alright, but when you get bored you can go off with Hyuck, as long as you stay nearby."

The shorter gave a nod despite knowing that the moment he'd go to play with his friend would never come.

The pair kept walking whilst Donghyuck eventually calmed down and was simply marching ahead, sniffing plants and watching over bugs that crawled or flew close enough for him to have spotted them.