14: distant

Two years trickled by like sand in an hourglass, and even if it wasn't that much time, it felt as though his entire world had changed, morphed into one from an alternate dimension, leaving him stranded.

His schoolmates eventually warmed up to him, for the most part, and he did all he could to lose weight. Yoonoh was taller now, almost tall as Youngho, and his hair was dyed a caramel brown, waved to sit in parted bangs on his forehead. He dressed well and took care of his appearance, kept up his grades and tried doing things out of his comfort zone. He wondered if maybe this was all he had to do to make people like him.

Another major change had been that both he and Youngho had left the boy scouts, the older leaving first and Yoonoh following shortly after. It simply hadn't been the same without his friend and not having him around for encouragement was detrimental to the boy.

It happened that Youngho had since had three girlfriends, the first lasting four months, the second lasting six and third lasting seven. It was inexplicable, the festering sensation within Yoonoh's belly every time the older would talk about his dates or smile at his phone whilst chatting with his current partner. It was even worse when he had to witness their P.D.A.'s as if he weren't sitting right across from them at all.

He had tried doing the same, being set up with a girl from his year but a different school by Youngho himself, but it simply didn't feel right. She could sense his lack of interest in her and sometimes the brunet worried she'd see the way he would look at his best friend; girls always have that sixth sense thing and it scared him.

The couple didn't last long but they remained on decent terms with one another, occasionally chatting when they were free.

Since his fifteenth birthday, Yoonoh's lips hadn't touched those of Youngho, and whilst he would still slip in a hug or let his hands linger on the older, he never dared to take anything further in fear the motive behind his actions would be understood.

And so now they'd meet during break time, go over to each other's house every other afternoon, stay gaming until early hours of the morning on Saturdays, but except for the silent, stolen moments of yearning gazes and faint touches, Yoonoh had nothing.

⟻⊗⟼

thanks for reading
please vote, comment and share!