Chapter 6 - Always Busy

My thoughts drifted to the past. This time my memory took me back to the classical Indian concert that showcased some of India's best classical musicians. It was the first and last time I'd heard so many talented musicians live in one evening. It was a one of a kind concert and I almost hadn't attended. I'd only gone because Ali was on call that weekend and since he and Salma could not attend, he had given me the tickets.

Raj had only agreed to go because there would be an open bar and the food was catered by one of the best Indian restaurants in the city. Except the actual evening of the event, Raj called to tell me how busy he was.

I bought a new sari, traditional bell shaped Jhumka earrings to match the sari, matching bracelets, and my favorite payal - silver ankle bracelets. I loved wearing Indian clothes, especially saris and the accessories that go with an Indian outfit. I was ready fifteen minutes ahead of time because I knew Raj hated being late. I sat on my bed, waiting for Raj to arrive.

I was expecting my apartment buzzer to go off any moment, but instead my phone rang

"Hello."

"Hi Anjali, it's me Raj."

"I recognize your voice. Why haven't you left yet?" I said panicking. We would be late if he hadn't left his apartment.

"Listen, about the concert tonight I'm still at the office and I don't know when I'll finish so I don't think I will make it. I really need to finish working on this deal."

I took a moment to collect my thoughts before saying anything.

"Anjali, are you still there?" Raj asked quietly.

How many events had I been to for Raj? More than I could count and the one event I wanted him to attend with me he was too busy with work. The resentment started to build inside me.

"I'm here," I said just as quietly.

"I promise to make it up to you."

"Yeah sure," I said. "Well, don't work too late."

We quickly said our goodbyes.

Sitting on my bed dressed in my sari which had taken forever to wrap, I fingered both tickets in my hand and thought – why shouldn't I go? What if I was going alone? Raj could spend his Saturday night pursuing his ambition, why couldn't I pursue my love for the arts? This was a chance in a lifetime to hear so many incredible musicians. Many of them had traveled from India. Damn it, why should I miss out because Raj was always too busy! I grabbed my purse and went out the door and hoped luck was on my side for catching a cab on a Saturday evening!

That night I was definitely lucky; Outside the cool fall air cooled my anger down and an available cab showed up in a record five minutes. The taxi driver maneuvered through the regular Saturday night traffic and got me to the event on time. I ran up the stairs as fast as I could in a sari and entered the grand hall. The hall was beautiful and intimidating at the same time. I took it all in the beautiful chandeliers, the high ceilings, the elegantly dressed people. My mood changed from resentment to excitement. The cocktail hour was still on and I ordered a Cosmo. Closing my eyes, I savored the taste of the cool alcohol down my throat. I was happy I came alone.