Chapter 5.1: Found

I had been days. Countless days since that happened. How could this happen? How can a little girl like me kill them all? I still feel the ripping of their flesh and the crushing of bones from my very hands. Blood showered everywhere. Guts littered the ground, soaking the earth with a crimson-red tint.

I knew what I had done, yet I felt nothing. 

Thunder sounded above me, the cloud bringing an ominous aura. The flashed and the rain started to pour. 

Pitter-patter. Pitter-patter.

Gradually, the pouring drizzle grew to a deluge. I was wet all over, the droplets hitting my wounds. It stung. It hurt. I was in agony again. Along with that, I was scared. I was scared of losing control again. What if I encountered an innocent traveler? What if I accidentally tore them to pieces? I can't take it.

I already have too much blood upon my hands. Drenched and immersed. 

My injuries were too severe, yet I was still alive. Why can't I die?!

I ran, clenching my teeth. I grimaced. The water flowed on the countless lacerations on my body. I walked faster, seeking refuge between the trees. The leaves of oak barely provided cover, but enough for me to take shelter. The air smelled so musty. The gray skies provided very minimal sunlight, casting the surroundings in a ghostly vibe.

Puddles littered everywhere I look. Little rivers trickled downhill. My eyes felt heavy. My movements felt sluggish. I panted. I practically forced my own little legs to move, but they kept getting heavier. A was in despair. If I collapse here, a lot can happen. A wild monster can eat me or bandits can take me in and potentially kill me.

Fortunately, I spotted a roof beyond the trees, just beside a battered road. I kept moving. The rain continued, harshly. With every move I make, it added to the weight I am carrying. 

Minutes of trudging, I can see more of the building. It was old. Vines clung to brick. Grass grew around, but it was clear that it was trimmed. A post stood by the oak door. Windows, rickety but clear, shed light on the inside. Lamps littered like fireflies, providing luminous glow travelers would've liked.

Inch by inch, feet by feet, I closed in. However, I fell on my knees, puddles splashing from the fall. I struggled to keep myself conscious. It was hard to breathe. It felt as if I was taking in empty air. Someone must have heard me. A kind voice sounded, but I too disoriented to listen. It was muddled. I collapsed before the voice can say any more.