Chapter 7: The Unfortunate

"How much due north?" Merio asked, tired. 

"About two days of walking and we should be there, lad." The Keeper replied. 

          The road they were traveling on felt battered. The path was riddled with pebbles, big and small. The ground pounded with dense clay, giving the road an earthy feel.

          A lot has been going on. Merio was concerned, very concerned. Ever since Rin got kidnapped, Merio hasn't been able to rest. He stressed over that. Determined to find Rin, he set off but has no clue of tracking the culprit.

Luckily, the old man, apparently, knew much deeper.

<>

*FLASHBACK

"The castle?! How would you know?! Seems to me that it was also your first time seeing that Thing." Merio exclaimed.

The Keeper just rubbed his white beard. "I know things, you know."

"It's your choice to believe me. I still have a responsibility for that Gift I gave your friend. I am certainly not going to lose sight of that."

Merio's face showed a hint of confusion and doubt, but also slight belief.

"You know, old man? I have seen a lot of things today. And most of them had happened thanks to you. So one way or another, I want to join you."

The Keeper's face turned slightly sour.

"Young generations like you don't know how to listen to elders, eh?"

<>

The blazing sun cast its glare upon two travelers. One of old age and one of youth. The rays had turned the soil into a dusty array. With every step, the two billowed dust under their soles. 

"Hey, old man. Can I borrow that cape?" Merio asked, pointing to the man's grey mantle. The man scoffed and smirked.

"I am old. It stays on me." He answered back simply, tightening the cloak around himself. The cloth itself looked very airy, inviting breeze into the material. Perfect for a hot day with a steady draft.

Merio had only his bag to shade himself, but it did not cover enough. Bullets of sweat rolled from his forehead. He tried fanning himself, but it barely did anything to lose the heat. A moment went by and he decided to shake things up as a distraction.

"So... how do you know about the person that attacked us?" Merio asked, struggling to comprehend that even the old man could know anything about the unknown attacker.

The Keeper replied in a calm voice, "His aura just felt familiar. I have lived for a long time in this world, trying to fulfill my purpose. As a result, I have met a lot of people. I know I have met him somewhere. There is no way to know for sure until I see his face behind that mask."

Merio felt anger and worry. Who knows what will happen to Rin...

<>

"Shut up, ember-brain. I ain't a pervert."

 "Now hold right there! I saw you eyeing that poor girl in the room. Don't you dare disturb a helpless little lady! And..." Six fumed in anger once again. "Call me ember-brain again, and I will reduce you to ashes."

Seven broke out in a sweat. "Tsk, fine." He said in a defeated tone. "Where is Five anyway? He just got back, but he now cowers into that pathetic hole of his?!"

Six glared at him. Out of the corner, One shook his head in disdain and disappointment at his ally. Three slept on the couch, immediately after Five arrived.

"You three go do what you want. I'll visit the girl." She stated, her blazing red-orange hair waved as she stood.

<>

A young girl lay asleep on a mattress of gold and silver. Windows tinted blood-red, turned the yellow sunshine into shades of deep crimson. The floor, design with brazed marble, glistened in a hue of whitish-blue. Walls remained plain white, numerous paintings posted upon them, to hide the blandness and dullness of the atmosphere therein. Around, countless statues of various animals lingered, from oxen to wolves.

The door, huge and tall, steadily creaked open. The knob of shiny metal, twisted upon the Myeawood. A figure, voluptuous and true, stepped inside. The woman walked in, with silent and solid strides, and sat beside the sleeping girl. Swaying away her fire-red hair from her face, she curiously looked at the sleeping girl. 

Poor girl. Must be dreadful being taken from her home.

Then, the woman caught something at the edge of her vision. A mark. She reached out for the mark on the sleeping girl's wrist only to be startled by a familiar someone.

"My, my. Curiosity will eventually kill the cat." Seven mocked, possessing a statue of a lion.

Six, startled from the visit, flared into anger. "You little bastard! How did you even get here?!" she whispered, careful not to wake up the girl.

Casually, Seven replied in a tone of ignorance.

"Why would you think the king would construct a lot of statues in the castle? It is for me, of course. Unlike you, I can't get around without possessing a statue." He said, squinting.

Six scoffed. She can easily blow his head off, but she cannot since she would do large collateral damage to her surroundings. And that would include the girl.

"So, what are you checking earlier, heh?" Seven asked.

Six looked closer once more at the mark. "This mark is very familiar, I don't know why."

Slowly, she lifted the girl's right hand. There, her eyes grew wide. A mark that once bore into her soul, branded itself on the girl's wrists."

"No... It can't be!"

<>