Chapter 2: Branded

"Ken! Do something!" The girl shouted at the boy beside her, driven to a corner. The ground around them was set ablaze. Huge armored creatures surrounded them, all looking for a tasty meal. Both looked horrible. Battle wounds covered every part of their body, their clothes torn.

"Nothing is happening! I-I can't destroy them like last time!" The boy replied. Both panicked.

"What do you mean?!" The girl asked, fear creeping up her spine. The monsters drew closer, baring sharp fangs.

"The gift... is not working..." He said, giving up hope. It was the end of the world after all. It was utter chaos. Everything was destroyed. "All we can do is wait for Drae. Rin, can you use your gift to get us out of this situation?"

The girl looked grim. "I can't... nothing is coming to mind. My gift is not working too."

Ken looked at her. "Look, if this is the end, I have something to tell you."

"Make it quick, they are closing in."

The monsters slowly crept forward, ready to pounce at any moment.

"Rin, I... I..."

________________________________________________________________________________

Rin encountered black. Nothing but darkness is all she could see. Time to time, she would yield awareness of her surroundings, abide the sound of strong winds and what not, but she would still periodically fall into unconsiousness. She would hear Merio's voice, although very muddy, through her stricken senses. She must have let out a groan.

What happened?

There was a stellar blink... then and strong wind... and then there was black all around me. Something had made me faint...

Even in her thoughts, even in her muddled mind, she was dazed. All she can do now was force herself awake, but with her current condition, it was hard. Now that she thought of it, she felt pain, everywhere. Her head spun. Her body ached. But most importantly, her body burned all over. She groaned once again. The pain intensified. Her groans elevated into whimpers. Whimpers that would make anybody frown. Even more than that, it sounded more like writhes of pain. Truly blood-curdling.

And then it was all gone. 

________________________________________________________________________________

"At least walking can clear my head first. I can set my journey in first light." The Keeper muttered, walking on a unbelievably, battered path. His walking stick kept him from tripping from the holes and the jagged edges. Even if his robe was tattered and he look more anciently than he actually is, he still has the strength of a human.

He kept walking, takin gin the night air. It soothes him for centuries. His natural calming medicine. Then the wind intensified to a point where it almost blew him away.

"W-what the-"

Quickly and instinctively, he planted his stick into the ground. He was still frail, this wind can instantly fell him. He made a dash for the treeline, the Burkitsine Oak resisting the gale. Beyond the treeline, he could hear a man's scream. He went in closer and was horrified at what he saw.

The man, who had golden hair, was crying and screaming at the tops of his lungs. On his thighs, laid a young woman, in a bloody mess. Blood flowed from the side of her wounded head, her cheeks bruised. 

"Young man! What is this madness?!" The Keeper asked. Startled, the man looked up, his golden hair bright.

"Please, help! M-my friend is unconscious and she is in pain. You gotta help." He pleaded through sobs, the strong wind slightly dissipating.

"Over here, come." The Keeper asked, urging him to take shelter behind a tree. "This should protect us for now."

Rin laid quiet but still breathed.

"What is your name?" The Keeper asked, his long beard swaying.

"I-It's Merio, S-sir. This girl is R-Rin..."

"What exactly happened here?" He asked again. Merio looked at Rin in worry.

"We were walking down the path when an explosion happened along with a very strong wind. The rest was hazy. In one moment, my friend was unconscious and bloody."

The Keeper closed his eyes, 

"I see."

Rin looked like wreck and Merio looked battered himself. The Keeper looked at him. Then noticed a decrease in Rin's vitality.

"Merio, I have a proposition. I can feel that this girl's energy is slowly dissipating, but I can save her."

"P-please, do what you have to do."

The Keeper raised his hand,

"Creation: Release!"

Instantly, his hand illuminated a green flash. Merio braced for the light. After the flash, he looked up, The Keeper's hand glowed neon green. 

A healing spell? Or...

Dumbfounded, he watched as the old man aimed his hand for Rin, who was laying on his lap. The orb spasmed. Then, in a second, it fired and entered Rin.

At once, along with a green afterglow, Rin thrashed in pain. Her screams grew louder as the glow intensified.

"Hang in there, Rin!" Merio cried.

As if responding, Rin groaned instead of screaming. It would seem that the pain was quickly dissipating as it has started.

"She will be fine. Calm down. I gave her something no one should have."

"W-what?"

"Hmm, you will see. But, young man, I have a favor to ask."

Merio looked at him thankfully. "Anything, sir..."

"What I gave her is a really important thing. A thing that can save this world. Thus, as a result, it will bond to her. It will continue to grow, making her immortal."

"I-Immortal?"

"Yes. You seem very close to her, but let me tell you, starting now she will have the power to protect you. But this is my favor. Someday, her immortality won't protect her, but it will be you."

_______________________________________________________________________________