Chapter 22: Lying About a Liar

Y/N's POV

I'm lying on my bed, still in my clothes from the day, music blasting through my earbuds, trying to drown out the noise of my thoughts. It's past midnight, but I don't think I could sleep if I tried.

It's been eating me alive, not being able to talk to anyone about this. About him.

Theoretically, I could talk, I could tell the world, but against my better judgement, I still have some respect for him.

But he lied to you for over a year!!

I don't know why he did it, but I'm sure he had his reasons.

I guess I haven't been completely honest with him, either. I haven't told him that I know, or that the reason I know is because I broke into his apartment. I also haven't told him about the rough patch my parents are in, even though we promised that we'd talk to each other about these things.

Well, technically, I did tell him, just not him him. I told his alter-ego.

Why the Hershey's would I have told Spider-Man before my best friend?

Why wouldn't he tell his best friend that he was a superhero?

Fair enough...

I feel a little guilty about invading his privacy, but I didn't deserve to be lied to like that. So, does that make it okay to lie to him?

No, absolutely not. A lie is a lie, and you should know this.

So, it's still wrong. I'm hurt! He deserves it.

Does he though?

I guess I'm no better than Peter now...

~Time Skip to School the Next Morning~

"Girl, you look like death."

"Thanks, MJ," I fall into my seat next to her in Lit. "You always know just what to say."

"Woah, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning," MJ, now is not the time to poke the bear with a sharp stick.

"Woke up? Hold of you to assume I fell asleep in the first place," I slam my head onto my desk, desperate to wake myself up. I mean, there's only so much coffee can do. "Sorry, I'm just working through some stuff right now."

"No stress. If you ever need to talk or whatever, you know I'll try to listen."

"I know. And I will, once I actually know what it is I'm working through."

The classroom door shuts, class begins, and I do my best to stay awake through it.

"Oy, is this about your parents?"

Right, my parental issues. I TOTALLY needed to be thinking about that right now.

"Uh, yeah. It's really not looking good right now," I mean, it's not a total lie. My parents are not on good terms, and it has been stressing me out. Just, that's not what's stressing me out right this minute.

"Let me know if there's anything I can do," she half smiles at me. MJ has a really tough shell; I'm lucky to know this side of her.

"Thanks, I but I think I just need some space," she's my best friend. The more I talk to her, the more I have to lie to her. The more I lie to her, the more I ruin our friendship. I can't jeopardize that.

I don't know what's left for me right now; I don't want to talk to Peter, I can't talk to MJ or Harry, or even Ned.

I guess I'm alone now.