chapter 11 || the answer to the riddle

Arriving at the West Clearing, you soon found your forest group.  Hearing a crunch behind you, you swiftly whirled around. And there was Sophie. And her hair. It was awful, uneven and jagged in places and she looked terrified.

"Excuse me—something in my eye—" Sophie stuttered and ducked behind a blue rosebush.

You approached the bush, feeling bad for her. She just needed some comfort. It didn't look that bad. 

"Least you look like a Never now," Tedros said, bobbing behind the bush. "So no one makes my mistake." 

You elbowed him in the side.

"That's not very nice." You hissed.

He shrugged and turned back to Sophie.

Sophie looked like a tomato.

"Well, this is what happens when you're friends with a witch," Tedros frowned.

"Look, its not that  bad. Not as bad as your friend, at least." 

You scoffed, and grabbed Sophie by her arm.

Walking a distance away from Tedros, you embraced her.

"Hey, are you alright?" You sympathized.

"No. Where's Agatha?" She asked. Wow. She was that ungrateful for your help. 

"They haven't let her out of our room yet." You assumed. Come to think of it, you hadn't seen Agatha since you left.  Sophie walked over to Dot, grasping her arm now. 

Dot's eyes drifted to Sophie's hair.

"It's...nice."

"Please don't," Sophie said, softly.

Dot had a far away look on her face. "You were so pretty."

"It'll grow back," Sophie said. 

"Don't worry," Dot sniffled. "One day, someone Evil enough will kill that monster."

Sophie froze. Could she have...

"All aboard!" Yuba called.

You turned and opened to top of a blue pumpkin and went inside.   

"No spitting, sneezing, singing, sniffling, swinging, swearing, slapping, sleeping, or urinating in the Flowerground," he said in the crabbiest voice imaginable. "Violations will result in removal of your clothes. All aboard!"

♕♔♕

You helped Sophie escape from the graveyard, forcing Dot to cover for the both of you. Besides, you wouldn't be able to stand Tedros, as he was your partner. 

You also helped her try to solve the School Master's riddle. At the graveyard you noticed that all the Nevers were buried alone and the Evers were buried together. Love. That was the answer to the riddle. And so, you told Sophie and she agreed. 

Sophie had aggravated a stymph, so you both were throne through the window of your room.

"Love," Sophie panted, as you nodded furiosly. 

"You're alive!" Your hair," Agatha gasped.

"Love is what a villain can never have but a heroine can't live without." You said.

"But what did they—are you—"

"Am I right or not?" Sophie cut her off.

Sophie had no intention at all of talking about the Doom Room. It was almost like she was hiding something.

"Almost," Agatha pointed to the paintings on your bedroom wall with visions of heroes and heroines lips pressed in climactic embrace.

"True love's kiss," Sophie breathed.

"If your true love kissed you, then you can't be a villian," Agatha said.

"But what if she doesn't have a true love?" You questioned. You didn't think the question was rude, but the look Sophie gave you said otherwise. 

"And if you can't find love, then you can't be a princess," Sophie stated.

"And we go home. My half is taken care of. Yours isn't so simple."

"Oh, please. I can make any one of those disgusting Neverboys fall in love with me. Just give me five minutes, an empty broom closet, and—"

"Sophie, there can only be one true love. That's what makes it a true love. And besides, it can't be one of those Neverboys. It has to be a prince. And I don't see you getting anyone with that hair of yours." You interjected.

Though Sophie didn't like you very much, she did pay heed to your advice.

"For every Ever, there's only one true love." Agatha said.

Sophie looked at you both and flopped onto Agatha's bed. 

"Tedros."

You scoffed. Gross.

"Tedros has to...kiss me?" No doubt she had dreamt of that.

"And he can't be tricked, forced, or duped into it. He has to mean it."

"But how? He thinks I'm a villain. He hates me! Aggie, he's a king's son. He beautiful, he's perfect—"

"As if!" You interrupted. Sophie ignore you.

"And look at me—" She grabbed her awful hair and clothes. "I'm—I'm—"

"Still a princess."

Sophie looked at Agatha who smiled. "And the only way we'll get home. So we have to make this kiss happen." 

 "We?" said Sophie.

"We," rasped Agatha.

Sophie hugger her. 

"We're going home, Aggie." 

You felt a little left out and offered: "I can help too," 

Sophie laughed and welcomed you into their hug. 

"One kiss and it will all be over," Agatha whispered. 

In the embrace, you couldn't help but feel doubtful. You weren't sure how you were going to be able to save the friends but you had to try. Only Agatha was your friend, but you could tell how much this meant to her. Sighing, you enjoyed the time you had. In helping Sophie, you would probably have to get on Tedros's good side. There wasn't any other way to get them together, and you knew it. You had to convince him to like her as she was already obsessed with him. This would be the last day that you would be free of his presence. Now getting him to trust you, would be a huge feat and you were not prepared.