Chapter Five

Lexa POV

I knew it was a stupid idea. Becoming friends with this girl will only bring pain. However, there was something different about her. She made me feel safe, like I actually belong somewhere. I hadn't felt this way since Costia. Close to a hundred years ago, which made me used to blocking out emotions.

I let Clarke and I into the house.

"Make yourself at home," I say as I drop my bag and remove my sneakers.

As Clarke neatly removes her shoes, I head into the kitchen to prepare food. I've learned to adapt to what humans eat and less animal blood, though I still need it for survival. At least once a week, Anya, Luna and I will need to go hunting to stay alive. I grab a couple apples and an orange to cut up for Clarke. She walks into the kitchen and grabs a knife to help me prepare the fruit. When we finish, I snatch a bowl from the cabinet for the fruit slices and guide Clarke over to the dining room table.

"Should we work on our project?" I ask her once the food has been devoured.

"Sure, that sounds good. Then, we can start editing it sooner," Clarke said, standing up and walking towards the front entrance. She returned a minute later with her laptop.

I head into my room and grab my writing notebook from my nightstand. I'd left my other book at school. I returned to the dining room where Clarke was booting up her computer. I grabbed the bowl to clean it up in the kitchen.

"Old school. I like it," I heard Clarke comment from the dining area.

"I've always preferred pen and paper," I mention, after all, I came from a time before the computers existed.

I sit down next to Clarke, slightly closer than before. I heard the clicking of her keyboard, which helped me focus.

"What should our character's names be?" she asked me a moment later.

"Hmm, I don't know. Any ideas?" I responded.

"Not really. I was thinking the vampire's name is Chloe perhaps," she suggested.

"Sounds good. How about the human's name is Meg?" I questioned.

"Great! Meg and Chloe; I like it."

With an idea in my mind, I began to write about Chloe's perspective of the story.

I've lived for hundreds of years without really knowing anyone.

I wrote a bit about my story, how I was turned, the pain and the sadness I'd endured. With a complete idea up until Chloe met Meg, as I'd never managed to fall for someone. Except for maybe one. One person, who I already feel a special connection with. Who makes me feel that I belong.

Clarke.