21

Chapter 21

One thing I had noticed was Jungkook seemed mad at me. He hadn't looked at my way since we got out of the room where I found them and it looked to me that he was trying not to. I was starting to get pissed, but I wanted to understand him.

He's just tired. And upset.

I stared at Jungkook as he fiddled with his fingers while he sat across the Dean. He'd been awfully quiet and everytime he asked him, he'd obviously try to make his way out of it as if he was hiding something that shouldn't be known.

I wanted to go home, but I thought I couldn't leave him like this. Wondering if I was making the right thing, I continued to listen to their conversation. I put my hands on my lap, sitting on the couch near the doorway of the office. The nurse had finished stitching the small cut on his lips and chin, and applied ice pack on his swollen cheeks. It would surely leave a dark bruise soon, but it would be alright in just a few days.

It turned out that Julian was not even a student in the university. How he got there without getting caught, no one had an idea. Jungkook just insisted to let it pass by and let the guy leave because what happened was a thing between them and his parents shouldn't know. He acted like he being hurt was not a big deal at all. I wanted to know who that Julian was, but I didn't have the right although I had a hunch he was from Jungkook's old school. He had once mentioned before he went to college in New Zealand.

One of the professors took part in interrogating him. As they went on to question him, the Dean asked him to be honest.

"Who was that guy, Jeon Jungkook?"

Jungkook had his eyes on his fingernails, removing imaginary dirt. "From my former school," he nonchalantly replied.

The boy I was seeing now looked really different from the cheerful boy I had gotten used to. He seemed totally serious, eyes looking so cold and I must admit I didn't like it. Then again, why was I worried? I shouldn't care much about it.

"New Zealand? That's far," the Dean said with a surprised expression. "How did he get here? Did you invite him?"

"No. I don't know."

The Dean leaned over his desk and clasped his big hands together. His voice got low, almost inaudible. "What was he up to? Tell me what's wrong between you two so we can know what we'll do next. The guy intruded and hit you first, according to what we've seen on the CCTV footage. We can't let this happen again. Your parents will see you like this and they'll surely blame the school for the neglect in action. I actually regret that I agreed with you letting the guy leave. Who knows what he could have done worse to you."

This time, he lifted his eyes up from his hands and looked back at the Dean. "It's okay, I'll do something about it. My parents can't know. Please don't tell them." Something in his voice told me he was really serious with everything that happened earlier. His parents must not know... and what I learned from Julian poked my curiosity.

This was bad.

Slightly annoyed, I reminded myself where I stood.

"But, we can't break the rule."

"This is too personal. I can't tell why. But I promise this won't ever happen again. Or maybe it can, but it's out of school premises so you won't have to worry."

The old man was clearly disappointed, but he agreed in the end. "Fine. But you hear me, boy, if this happens again, I'll tell your parents, okay?"

"Of course. Can I leave now? It's late and my body hurts."

A nod. Then he stood up from his seat and Jungkook followed. I searched for something in his eyes, though I wasn't sure what I was exactly searching for. I got up to my feet. "Sure. Can you go alone? I'll take you home."

"No, I'll be fine. My parents are probably home by now and they might suspect something's wrong."

"Okay. But, oh, you have someone with you, right?" He spared a glance over at me. "What's your name?"

"I'm Kim Sena." Jungkook still hadn't bothered to give me a look. What was he trying to imply? As far as I knew, I didn't do wrong. I hated how unreasonable he was right now. I wasn't expecting he'd be happy with what I did, but he could at least tell me honestly why I made him ignore me.

"How are you related to Jeon Jungkook?"

"I'm his... friend," I made up.

His brows raised. "I guess you can help him get to his house?"

Nodding, I slung my bag over my shoulder. "I will."

I walked out of the room when I heard the Dean he'd be telling some important things to Jungkook. I stood out the door, waiting. The professors had gone off already, and I was alone in the corridors.

I checked the time on my phone. 9 pm. I still have time to read for the tomorrow's discussion. When I looked up, I saw Jungkook dashing out, walking past me.

I was sure he knew I was there. But he chose to not notice.

Frustrated, I followed behind him. His long legs made it hard for me to catch up, but seconds later I was strolling by his side. Why was I even doing this to myself? He was breathing ruggedly like he was in pain, arms flinching as he moved.

"Go home." He grunted.

"You can't go home alone like this."

"Says who?" he said in an annoying, sarcastic voice.

I creased my forehead. "Why are you acting like a jerk?"

Jungkook's gaze in front wasn't wavering, but he suddenly said, "I've always been a jerk, right? I'm being fair, Sena. I'm doing you a favor. I know you don't like being here so just leave. I don't want to get blamed for missing a read of a chapter in your book just because you stayed longer with me."

I stopped and controlled my voice. "So, you're taking this personally." My lips pursed in a thin line. "What the hell is your problem?"

Finally, he averted his gaze to me, eyes piercing. "I don't like how you interfered earlier."

Breathe, Sena. I felt like I was losing all my patience so I said in gritted teeth, "I was helping you."

Raking his hair with his hand, he yelled. "You did not! Do you think high of yourself now? Do I owe you already? Does punching him make you my hero? I didn't ask for your help. I could manage without you."

I almost gaped at his response. But I wouldn't show him how I was little affected. I wanted to punch him in the face, stronger than what I did to Julian. How could I understand him if he was being like this? I perfectly knew I wasn't much of a help, but he didn't have to emphasize how useless I was in that situation. "Asshole."

His fingers moved to point at me.

"You fucking made yourself a target by getting into my mess. You shouldn't get involved. It's my business. I know them. They will not stop."

I balled my fists.

"You know what? I appreciate your words. I guess it's best to leave now."

I couldn't stand him. I couldn't stand it anymore. We were both upset, and I didn't want to argue with him more than I should. Going home was the best for now. Let him be. I was already drained from all of the activities I've done this day. Jungkook should be out of my worries.

"I'd like that." Jungkook answered before I turned on my heels and walked away from him.

(A/N:)

Thank you for 800+ reads, everyone!