39

Chapter 39

The day before New Year's celebration, Taehyung and I stayed home to sleep and watch movies under piles of thick sheets. It was his birthday and I suggested we could go somewhere and hang out although I wasn't in the mood, but he refused to go out in the cold winter. My brother just turned 26 and still lived a monotonous life. We binge-watched Grey's Anatomy episodes, and much to my dismay, he was loud while pointing out some faults in the series.

Mom and Dad came home earlier than usual that day and prepared dinner as a simple celebration for both ocassions. We had a New Year's countdown at the living room, a peaceful one, the TV hosts in an unfamiliar program doing the work for us. It was clamorous again outside, more chaotic than what Christmas day sounded in my ears. For an hour I stayed up in the balcony and stared at the fireworks display. My phone beeped and I checked the message. It was from Jungkook, he attached his selfie and a greetings below the image, 'Happy New Year!!!' and some emojis at the end.

Throughout the week, Jungkook phoned me, telling me how he was spending his holidays. They were just short conversations, and it made me relax everytime I listened to his laughs from the other line.

He probably wouldn't hear this but, Jungkook was a soft boy.

When the ocassions were done and everything was back to normal, Taehyung started packing his things for his residency. He rented an apartment in Daegu, near the hospital he had applied to work at. Mom was a bit against the idea and she asked him to just stay at our hospital, but Taehyung had already long decided.

A few days after, my parents and I tagged Taehyung along all the way to his new place. It was a small fully-furnished apartment unit complete with modern conveniences located in a peaceful neighborhood. The walls were painted in beige, rose gold curtains adoring the surface. The landlady must have already decorated and cleaned up before my brother moved in. There was a small couch in a corner, kitchen and dining joined into one. The place was also equipped with central AC and a space heater. We went into the bedroom. It only contained a bed covered with mattress and a dresser. Mom checked Taehyung's bed if it was soft and comfortable enough. Taehyung couldn't sleep well if the sheets were rough and not silky.

Dad looked through the cupboards and discarded some things that were not useful in there. Then I helped him put some of the groceries into cabinets and into the fridge. I saw Taehyung taking out his clothes and a few necessities from the suitcase.

"Sena, where did you place my medical books?" He asked me as his hands searched through the other bags.

"It's in the red suitcase."

His eyebrows met. "It's not here."

Dad interrupted, "I haven't loaded it off from the trunk. I'll go get it."

"No, Dad, I'll do it." Taehyung stood up and went out, tightening his jacket around his body. When he came back, he carried it straight into his room. We fixed Taehyung's things until it was three in the afternoon. It was also time to go because my parents were needed in the hospital.

"Always eat on time, okay? Call me up when your grocery runs out, I'll do it and send in someone to bring it to you," Mom looked as if she didn't want to go yet and she'd rather stay at Taehyung's place for awhile.

"Okay," Taehyung nodded, gulping down a bottle of water.

"Is there a laundry shop nearby?"

"For sure."

"Yeon, stop treating your son like a kid. He's not twelve. Taehyung can do this. He's an independent guy." Dad grunted, his gaze fixed on my brother's calm demeanor.