50

Chapter 50

Twice a month, or more than that, Jungkook would come to my place and spend a few hours with me when I wasn't busy in the hospital. I appreciated each of his efforts getting off from work and driving hours to see me, so I made sure that every time we met, I would devote all of my time to him.

I wanted to be a good girlfriend.

I badly wanted to make this work and although my father didn't fully approve of him, I was confident Jungkook would gain his trust in the future. Well, Gran was more upset than before, knowing that I did get a boyfriend despite her warning. She also couldn't get over the fact that I hung up my phone on her while she was talking to me a few months back. That was the first time I did that and to be honest, I was both scared and surprised that I'd done that to her. Dad scolded me about it, of course. On the other hand, it felt liberating. I just realized she couldn't keep on manipulating me. Ever since I met Jungkook, it felt like it was good to risk things and attempt to break free from the stress I had been carrying through the years.

I needed to breathe even for awhile.

Jungkook was probably one of my breathers.

I was expecting Jungkook today. These past few weeks he always worked two hours of overtime in his job so I told him he shouldn't go here and just rest instead. But he was steadfast about the idea of seeing me every once in a while. I didn't know why he had been doing extra hours in the firm. Jungkook chose not to say anything so I didn't pry.

When he arrived, he handed over a paper bag to me at once. He always brought food. It had become one of our satisfactions lately and it was actually enjoying. Honestly, he brought me to a restaurant which offers unlimited Japanese cuisine for my 25th birthday, as if I could eat that much. Jungkook had bizzare plans in life. With this routine, I was gaining weight so fast. He seemed so happy about it.

I also glanced suspiciously at the backpack he had but I decided not to say something about it.

I analyzed his face and noticed the dark circles under his eyes. "Are you sure you're getting enough sleep?" I asked him, worried.

He flashed a cheeky smile and walked to me, his arms wide open. Jungkook pulled me closer to him, playfully enveloping me in a tight hug until my cheeks were pressed against his chest. I pinched him and broke free from his big arms. He always did that to piss me off. "I should ask you that. These days you're assigned in night shifts."

I gave him a ridiculous look. "I'm used to it since first year."

He poked my cheek, his grin growing bigger. "Don't frown. You get ugly." He put down his bag on the couch and headed to my kitchen as I followed. I took out some plates to prepare the food when he casually asked me. "I'm taking you out on a date later, is that okay?"

I moved my gaze to him and watched him drink water. "Let's just go out next time."

He dropped the glass to the sink, rolling the sleeves up to his elbows. "Why not today?"

"I'm not feeling well." I woke up to a very painful cramp this morning. It was the time of the month. I've always had an irregular period since I was a teenager, and sometimes I just had no period in a month. It was from stress, but even if my periods temporarily disappeared, my abdomen would be in too much pain.