Chapter 24

Jordan's P.O.V.

I watch as Eve's head tilts on to her left shoulder, signifying that she passed out entirely. I motion for the other troopers to go with her to the medical bay, and turn to Rift.

"Where was she?"

"About twenty yards down the hall, around a corner and behind a pillar. I only knew she was there because she made a sound." Rift shifts on his feet. "What caused her to collapse the floor though?"

"I told her that she could have been discovered if she used the Force. Hopefully she took my advice and only used the Force because she was in an emergency." I shake my head and turn to watch two other troopers run up near Rift.

"Sir! We discovered another trooper upstairs on a saline drip. He is still out, but the drip contained a very high dose of Hydrocodone, almost deadly. We also sent him to medical bay."

"Thank you. Dismissed." I say as look back at Rift. I wait until the two troopers leave and clear my throat. "Was there anyone else in the rubble?"

"No, but we did find another set of footsteps. Sadly, they were only in the dust, we couldn't track them very far." Rift shifts on his feet again. "I'd feel better if someone is with Eve the entire time she is recovering."

"Go. And keep me updated." I motion for Rift to leave. "Make sure all the Hydrocodone is purged from his blood. I don't want him addicted to anything when he wakes up."

"Rodger that." Rift doesn't bother with a salute, and he knows I don't care to call him back.

I walk over to the collapsed floor, and investigate the footsteps Rift had mentioned. I do see the clearly defined path, but what draws my attention is the wall just behind the start of the path. I see where Rift also said Eve dragged herself, and where she landed. I step over some rubble, and see that the point she contacted with was a fairly sharp corner of a chunk of rubble. That explains why she was in pain, and her head wasn't bleeding, only bruised.

I press the comm on my wrist, hailing Rift. "What is the extent of Eve's injuries?"

"Bottom four ribs on the right side are broken, left is only bruised. Might have a concussion, not sure to what extent yet. Otherwise, I think she just... Overextended herself a bit."

"When she wakes up, notify me."

"Rodger."

I press the comm again and stand. Walking back over the rubble, and follow the dusty steps till they reach a carpeted segment and slowly disappear. I look from the rubble to the last footstep, and continue traveling down the hall where I believe whoever Eve was attacking would go. I eventually get to a window that is left open, the lock clearly broken.

I summon a wide call. "Attention, we might have a witness or a suspect. A window is open on the thirtieth floor, and tracks lead from the scene. Keep an eye out for all suspicious activity." I turn the comm off, hoping that the search will start. I look back once more to the scene, and follow the only trail we have.

~~~

Rift's P.O.V

I sit in the waiting room, waiting for updates on Eve's condition. I only know of the diagnosis when the medical staff first took her in. I tried to follow, but was kicked out due to "not being helpful". What just keeps running over in my head was finding the collapsed ceiling, and thinking Eve was under it all. I still called to her, hoping for an answer. When I heard her faint call, I was happy that I found her around the corner from it all.

Dust was settled in her hair, and her face was pale. She had dark circles under her eyes, and coming close to her it sounded like her lungs were dust as well. I shined a light to check her eyes, and she shied away quickly. I refused to wait for the transport, and ended up carrying her to where Jordan commed.