Destiny's Rose - [4]

“SAM!” Cole called, desperately trying to find his best friend, “Sam, where are you?!”

Cole couldn’t let Sam risk his life. It was too much. He found himself wishing he had never come up with the idea in the first place. It was stupid to think that he could shirk from his duties like a coward. Cole was running down the servants’ stairs, something he had been warned never to do.

“Don’t walk in their passage way, Prince Coleson. You’ll only get in there way,” his instructor’s words echoed in his memories. It didn’t matter anymore, though. All his hard work would be for none as he was being sent off now. A flash of anger clouded him for a second before he realised it was no longer the time nor the place. He was looking everywhere for his loyal friend, but Sam was no where to be found. As he hurried down the long corridor, panic started to set in. What if he couldn’t find Sam in time? The consequences were too great to consider.

“Sam! Where are you?” Cole called, urgency making his voice loud and hoarse. Only one place was left where Sam always went: the roof. Sam and Cole used to go up there after Cole was done with his lessons; his useless lessons. They would play up there for hours; they played rebels and guards, planned tricks to play on Cole’s baby sister, and played King, giving speeches to their “loyal subjects” standing below them. They would laugh and play as carefree as they had ever been. Cole ran up the secret stairwell they had discovered, and made it to the roof. There, with his back leaning against a thick stone wall, was Sam.

“Sam, finally, I’ve found you. I --” Cole cut himself off when he saw Sam’s expression. His dear friend’s eyes were filled with tears, nearly overflowing. They turned to anger when they settled on Cole.

“You had a chance,” Sam whispered hoarsely, “you had a chance to say good-bye.” Sam was choking on his words as though they physically hurt him. And they did. He couldn’t imagine what terrible things go through Cole’s mind to possess him to leave his family.

“You could have said good-bye to your parents. I-I never got that chance. You don’t even care!” Sam’s previously whispering voice was rising with his anger, “You may never see them again, and yet you don’t even care. You don’t even care that your parents love you! You just tossed them aside in your anger. You hurt them and now you may never get to take it back. I would die for the chance to have my parents back. I never got to know them! I never got to have a brother or sister and yet your cursing her for taking a your spot as Crown Prince,” Sam sneered, “I would give the world for a sister to steal my kingdom from me! You get everything, but you appreciate nothing. You’re making me face your problems rather than facing them yourself. You’re a coward! You run away from everything you have, everything you’ve been given. You don’t deserve anything you have. You believe you’re entitled to so much, but you do nothing! You have everything, but all you do is cry and throw fits because you didn’t get what you wanted. It’s time for you to grow up Cole! I’m tired of you pawning off your duties. You-You” But Sam wasn’t able to finish his thought. He was overwhelmed with sobs of anger and regret.

“I never got to say good bye,” Sam choked through his tears, “I never got to say good bye.”

Cole was taken aback as Sam’s words sunk in. Sam had never been so harsh with him. He watched as Sam sobbed in front of him.

“Sam I-I’m sorry. I didn’t know. I didn’t know I was so bad. I’m sorry,” Cole managed to stutter out.

“It’s too late, Cole. I’ll take your spot like you want me to. I’ll pretend to be prince,” Sam spat, “you shouldn’t be apologizing to me, either. If you had taken anything from my outburst, you would realize what you had to do.”

Sam stalked off the roof, the anger rolling off of him in waves. As Cole stood there on the roof, he was utterly dumbstruck. He let Sam’s words sink in flooding him with a feeling of regret. He knew Sam was right. Every word of it rang true in his mind. He was truly a coward. He had always pawned off his jobs and hurt those around him. He never appreciated the beautiful castle around him. He was always running away, trying to escape. He saw it clearly now; it was painfully clear. He would not run away. He would make this right. He would make everything right, no matter what it took.